To neuter or not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brituk

Reaction score
Hi my name is Maire and I have justed adopted a 14month old flemish giant bunny. he is adorable and friendly,is litterbox trained and very clean. I took him to the vetsfor the once over and she adviced me to neuter him and I was wonderingwhat the general concensus was!

Hello! Congratulations and Welcome! I think thegeneral concenus is to get him nuetered unless you plan on breedinghim. It's healthier for them. I love Flemish. My bunn is aFlemish. What is your baby's name? I think you will like it here. Thisa wonderful group of people.

Tina

absolutely do neuter. puberty is quite frustratingand your bun could get aggressive. The procedure will even all thosewacky hormones out and he will be much more comfortable. Congrats onyour bunny-love!

Our bunnies name is Tiny, thank youforall for the feed back. I have another questionTiny has hock sores on both paws The vet gave me an antibiotic andlotion but after a week of both, the sores aren't really any better, amI being to impatient with his healing time?

Tiny lol that is too cute. Does he have a wirebottom cage? I was told by the breeder that wire is really hard onrabbits feet, especially the large breeds. Apollo has a plastic matcovering half the cage floor. That way he has the option of wire orflat surface.

I hope he gets to felling better real soon.

Tina

When he first arrived he was in a tiny wire cagethat he couldn't even stretch out in. We have since moved himinto a large cage complete with plastic tray. He had thesores when he arrived a week ago, along with a badly matted hair onboth hisrear end and tail. The vet had toput him to sleep just to shave both ares and to clip his nails. Otherthan his feet he is thriving and my two young daughters adore him!

Depending on how bad it is I would give it alittle time to heal. If you notice that they are not healing or looklike they may be infected, I would call the vet. Poor guy. He is solucky you and your family saved him. It sounds like he has found theperfect home. I hope he feels better real soon. Depending on how youngyour daughters are he's probably almost as big as they are lol. I havea 10 year old son and he has a hard time even picking Apollo up. Apollois only 5 months old LOL

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Tina

My youngest is 18 months old and only out weighsthe bunny by 7 pounds, she weighs 18 pounds and he11.We are hoping that Tiny loves us as much as wehave come to love him in our short time together. Iwill keep you posted on his health and hopefully will be able to attacha picture of him real soon.

maire

It also depends on what type of litter box Tiny isusing, if he has an open box and you find him hanging out in it forprolonged periods of time, that urine can slow down the healing processof the sores.BEST of luck to you, you sound like aproud new Mom! Welcome toourrabbitfamily!! And do keep usposted

Cher

Latest posts

Back