To bond or not to bond...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shananagrams

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have two female rabbits. A mini rex and a french lop. The Lop is about 8+ and the mini rex only 8 months old. Lucy - the rex is not spayed (yet). Penny the lop is spayed.

The girls are divided but are interested in each other. After Lucy is spayed (and rehabs for a good month), do you think it is a good idea to attempt to bond the ladies? I'd love to do it before but lets face it, an 8 month old unspayed bunny is too feisty - the first week penny was here Lucy already stood her ground and pooped as close as she could to the gate that separates them to mark her territory.

I am concerned with Penny's age. We took her in to give her a good retirement home. She is has energy and life, but she is an old bun nonetheless. Would it just be too devastating for my young one when Penny passes? They just seem so interested in each other!

I say it's worth a try... if Lucy seems depressed after Penny passes, you can always take her to a shelter for bunny dates and find her someone new around her age to bond with. at 8 years old, Penny should have a good 2-4+ years left - that's a lot of quality time they could spend together if they get along (and it's significantly less work for you if your two are bonded). it could also be good for Penny to have a youthful companion to keep her active as she ages.

F/F is a tougher bond to manage and if Penny's been alone her whole life, she may not want a friend... but if you're willing to take things slowly and give bonding a go, there's a chance you could end up making them both happier.

Hmm that's a tough one. I think there are arguments on both sides....but I would say that Lucys age is a concern. Rabbits can take the death of a mate very hard. Yes she could live another couple years or more, but the reality is is it could be alot less too :( 8+ years is "old" for a rabbit)

Bonding, especially two females, can be stressful and can take a long time. I've heard of bonds taking months sometimes! You would also have to consider the stress of bonding on an older bun too. Showing interest in one another can be good BUT can be bad too. It could be an interest is being territorial, wanting to mount and start a fight.

I dunno, like I said it's tough. I'm more of a cautious person so I think that's why I tend to lean towards not bonding. But then again, it could work out wonderfully I guess you'd never know unless you try......

Well, this morning the girls semi-met through a room divider ( I live in a studio apartment) and attacked the treat bags that were stored in a Tupperware container. It appears they have been meeting at night.

However, I have to agree with you Jen, the female/female aspect scares me especially since Lucy is young and unspayed until march when I can afford it.

Lisa, I'm sharing your same cautiousness. Penny is our little brute. If you move something that is hers near you she grunts. I know she is partially blind, but it is enough to convince me that them home alone could be a death match no matter how long I try to bond the two.

Latest posts

Back