TO BOND OR NOT TO BOND

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVIE

~RUBY AND ROSEY RUM BUNS~
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WARNING! THE FOLLOWING POST IS BEING WRITTEN BY AN EMOTIONAL FEMALE. IF YOU IDENTIFY AND CAN SUPPORT, PLEASE DO. IF NOT SAVE THE CRITICISMS. So my Ruby is over a year old now, and she's the center of my world. And here we are, at the point you have all been. It's just been me and her for so long. I feel I would be content continuing on that way, but I face facts, 1.) Ruby is alone much of the day. 2.) I can't pretend that almost everywhere I look I don't see reminders that bunnies are social and do best in pairs. 3.) I want her to be happy above my selfish desire for her to Bond with just me. And please don't respond and tell me I'm being selfish. I know that. I'm looking at rescues, and Craigslist and Facebook groups, searching for another sweet bun to join my girl. And it's breaking my heart. Why is this so hard? Have any of you felt this dread at finding a bondmate? I think I may have found a sweet rex girl in Philly who desperately needs to be rehomed due to drastic changes in her human mama's life. The girl is young, a college student who is finding her life upside down to a number of real life issues that piled up suddenly. I can relate, I went through similar things at that age. And that's a big part of it for me... The mama needs rescuing too. Do I commit to this? I know this bunny needs a second chance. How important is it really for Ruby to have a sister? I'm waffling constantly right now. Ultimately Ruby is my priority right now, and if I commit, bun # 2 will need to be an equal precious priority. I'm a mess right now... Anyone want to be my mama right now and tell me to grow up and go get that bunny?

I've felt dread in the upcoming bonding process, as some matches can be very difficult bonds, and the process can prove a bit stressful. In fact, at this point in life, I'm only willing to do matches that appear to be love at first sight. I have no desire to go through the stress of a difficult bond anymore.

I don't see anything wrong with having a single rabbit if you have several hours in the morning and/or evening, to spend time with your rabbit AND your rabbit likes spending time with you and doesn't just isolate herself. Not being able to spend time during the day doesn't really matter, as rabbits generally are napping during the day anyways. So it's really just time in the morning and/or evening that matters.

But if your rabbit just doesn't seem very interactive or interested in spending time with you or around people but isolates herself and just doesn't seem happy with her life, and/or you don't have a lot of time in the morning and/or evening to spend time with your bun, then yes, it would be a good idea to try and find a bondmate for your rabbit.

If you decide you do want to go ahead and find a bondmate for your bun, I would suggest trying to make sure to do this with already spayed/neutered rabbits that you can introduce your rabbit to at prebonding dates, so you can see if your bun and the other rabbit show any signs they might like each other. Male/female pairs do best usually, but it really is all about finding a compatible personality for your girl, which is a dominant rabbit matched with a submissive one. Two dominant rabbits almost never will work out.

This prebonding dating can usually only be done when the other rabbit is already fixed too. So you would need to verify all this and the possibility of trying your bun with theirs on a date first. Which most often works best at finding a match at rescues or shelters. But if you do it with another rabbit owner, I think this would only be safe to do with fencing in between preventing a fight breaking out, as you couldn't risk injuries with either rabbit.

Another suggestion is when you find some possible matches, to find one you also feel a connection with. I think this will make the process easier and more enjoyable for you as well. In fact, with how you are feeling about this whole matter, I wouldn't recommend going ahead further than looking at other rabbits unless you do feel a connection with another bun.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

I think you're right, it's ultimately a matter of comfort. Thank you for words, they were comforting that not bonding wouldn't necessarily be a disaster for Ruby. I've been tossing and turning and I think I've made a decision. I want to give this second bun a chance. I do have enough love for two. Even if they don't bond, I'm preparing to keep them both. I have the room, the resources and the love. For some reason this bunny's story won't leave my mind and I'm headed out to Philly to meet her. Hopefully after awhile and a lot of research I will attempt to Bond them, but no pressure if they dont. Wait for upcoming introduction posts if I bring her home. Crossing fingers!

Latest posts

Back