'Tis my son's birthday today!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassetluv

Reaction score
I can't believe it's been 26 years since my son came into this world. An awful lot has happened in between then and now...including he and I moving four times; his moving away to Toronto, where he now resides; him having to leave behind both his grandad (who he adored) and his dog, on the first move; having to repair a rift between himself and his father, who was barely in his life for the most part; losing his grandmother, and then a year later - almost to the day - losing his dad; and just so many other things that has made his life, and mine, a wonderful, hard, sometimes exhausting, but glorious time.

Stephen was born two weeks late, on Easter Monday. I was going through a terribly rough time emotionally. His dad and I had separated three months earlier...his father became scared at the prospect of being a dad for the first time, and he ran...had an affair and left me an emotional trainwreck. And truthfully, I wasn't even sure I wanted children. The pregnancy was unplanned, and I was naiive and immature. I wound up living back at my dad's house, not knowing what the future was going to bring, or how I - someone who didn't have any self-confidence and no income - was going to take care of myself, let alone be responsible for a child. But the day of Stephen's birth my life transformed. I called my doctor at 6 in the morning, complaining of lower back pain and not feeling well, and he told me it sounded like false labor, and to make an appointment to see him when his office opened. Half an hour later I called the hospital, and they also felt it was false labor...but they told me I could come in and be looked at just to reassure myself.

When I went in and was examined, it turned out I was 7 cm dilated...so then the rush was on to deliver this baby I wasn't sure I wanted. After much poking, prodding, and whispered conversations on the part of the doctors and nurses, I was wheeled into surgery...my baby had decided to take the less scenic route into the world. He was born via Caesarian section at 1:00 p.m., and the moment he arrived he made this most odd sound...for a moment I thought they'd let a cat into the OR. The doctors feared there was something wrong, so they put him in an incubator and whisked him off to ICU. However, they stopped momentarily so I could see him. And this was the point where I felt my life literally change. I looked down at this little guy, a tiny baby with a perfectly-shaped head, bright cheeks and the largest brown eyes I've ever seen, and I experienced something for the very first time. It's hard to put into words, but I knew him. It was as if I was meeting a very old and dear friend, someone who I hadn't seen in eons...and I remember the first thing that went through my head was, "There you are...I haven't seen you in so long!" It wasn't so much of a feeling of a mother's love for her child - though that was certainly to come - but it was something much deeper, I think. This was soul recognition...I felt as though he and I had lived many lifetimes together, and once again was coming back to me.

And now, for the past 26 years I've enjoyed all of the blessings that come with having such a beautiful person in my life. We've had our minor disagreements, we've dealt with the typical parent/teen issues, but we've also grown up together. He has taught me things that I never thought I would learn, he's been a pillar of strength through the tough times, and both of us have been leaning posts for one another, as well as comic relief throughout.

So here's to my son, who's matured into a wonderful, sincere, and incredibly beautiful soul. May his life be a long and happy one, may all of his dreams come true, and may he be blessed with love throughout.

Happy Birthday, Stephen! :)

Love, Mom

With his cousin, Emily:
stephenemily640x480.jpg

Playing Guitar Hero:
guitarhero640x480.jpg

Happy Birthday to him. You have a very handsome son.

What a handsome young man and a lovely story. I won't hijack your thread but I have such stories and feelings about people who "aren't ready" or "not sure." It's not our choice.... they come to us when they are supposed to....

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I won't hijack your thread but I have such stories and feelings about people who "aren't ready" or "not sure." It's not our choice.... they come to us when they are supposed to....

Amen to that, Bo B.... :)

Happy birthday to your son....and what a handsome fella he is:D

You know i related a lot to your story with me and Anthony...there is a big long story with my life with my son.

Cheryl

That was a lovely story! Thanks for sharing. Stephen sounds like a great guy and he looks kind of like my boyfriend :)

Thanks everyone! I haven't talked to him since Thursday, but I'm sure he had a great time this weekend. :) Yep, I agree he's quite handsome (though he doesn't seem to see it).

(And Cheryl, special hugs to you and Anthony :hug:...I know you two have been through so much together...)

:biggrin2:If I wasn't married I would ask you for his number. :pSeriously though he sounds like an amazing man. I am sure as you are proud to be his mother he is proud to be your son. He had your help in becoming the man he is.

What a sweet thing to say JadeIcing...thank you! :) I can't begin to tell you how proud I've always been of Stephen. He wrestled with a lot of demons over his dad, missing a father who he never really knew, and - as many children in such situations do - he blamed himself, mistakenly believing his father didn't love him because he didn't deserve his love. We spent many many nights talking about it, many tears flowed. So when he learned that his dad was dying, Stephen contacted him and over the course of the next few days, that rift between them finally disappeared. A few days later his dad passed on. It was a very hard time, but I think he matured greatly through the experience.

He's one of those sons who has never been embarrassed to be seen with his mom, and several times when he was throwing a backyard barbeque, he'd insist I join them for a while to sit and chat. His circle of friends are pretty amazing young adults as well, and his closest friend once confided in me that Stephen is the one they would always lean on for support and help...he would do anything for anyone in time of need.

I'm just so thankful that our relationship as mother and son has also always been one of trusted friends. I know that he will reach out to me when he's troubled, and he's helped me out a few times as well when I've wrestled with emotional issues. Whenever I hear of families who are not communicating, or are constantly fighting, I realize just how blessed the two of us have been, and how precious life, and family, is. :)

I can not agree more. My mother and I had are teen year wars but all and all I always knew how lucky I was to have her. Whe you talk about the relationship you have with your son, it is like listening to my mom and me describe our relationship.

Happy Birthday :biggrin2::bestwishes:

I am glad you have been blessed with him. You guys must have one special relationship!

And um... He's cute :bagheadBut that beard.... :nono

Wow...happy birthday, Stephen! What a wonderful story to read...how he came into this world. And I know what you mean about feeling like you already knew him when he was born. I also know what it feels like to be pregnant, feeling like you don't even really know how to care for yourself, much less a baby. I was 19 when I had Em...not even close to ready to have a baby! But one look at those gorgeous brown eyes, and my life was forever changed, and I knew a love that I'd never, ever known before. My little girl is simply amazing...and I would never change a single thing in my life...because all my experiences, good and bad, brought me to where I am right now...and I really love where I am. :)

What a beautiful story...and I can see how amazing Stephen is by his face. He has a very sweet spirit...you can see it in those big brown eyes.

Hugs to you both!!

Rosie*

Latest posts

Back