Tired of NIC I want a hutch!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattiemattiesrattery

Reaction score
Well as stated above I want a Hutch! I am tired of fighting with the NIC Panels and being scratch by the zip ties.

My bunnies live out side until it is too cold or too warm (everything at my house can tolerate 92degrees before they start to sprawl out) or too windy or it rains, at which point in they come to their NIC panels. Right now the girls live in a pen out side that is 10ft long, 4ft wide and 3ft high. It has a house in it, and some things they can bounce on for levels. Grass and dirt and they love it!

But with 5 bun it's getting hard to clean. I want to move them to a hutch on the cement and give them enough space still. Any ideas on how big a normal hutch should be for 5 girls? They are ACTIVE girls so I know it needs to give them run space too. (no moving their pen to the cement is not an option... (I tired to put it there originally). Also what kind of materials can I use to make it study. (I plan on altering it to add an Ac to the area of their hutch so that I don't have keep moving them from a outside pen to an indoor cage, as they glare at me and thump when indoors.
My girls range from Dwarf to Flemmie...

Also I have 2 boys one of which a flemmish. how big should theirs be? (Or should I just make two identical and have my boys and girls?

I wanted to say I don't have much advice but someone will be around soon.

I am sorry I can not help more.

I too have no advice for the hutch plans but I do have a fixer for the sharp zip ties! I took a lighter to the ends and it made them so smooth and took the sharp edge off by melting it down.

A converted shed is a brilliant way to go, in my opinion. They are generally well-built, sturdy, and BIG!

I like Monklover's set-up but I worry about:

a) the insulation

b) predators

c) it's very high, so looks very big, the actual running space at the bottom could be made so much bigger, by using the totally unused top 3 or 4 feet lol. I would definately cut half of the top off, and just add it on the side, to increase actual space- he'd really appreciate it! :D

Jen

Well I have boys and girls so I am going to be building two of them.

But I plan on making it tall enough that I can walk into, but adding a shelf and ramp for them, Plus haing two solid sides and two wire sides. But I will be able to block the wire sides should the need arise. I am also going to hook up an ac in there (where they can't chew on it) so that if it gets too hot then they can cool off.

The NIC cage they are in now is 5grids x 6 grids, and 3 grids high for each the boys and girls.
I always make sure they have LOTS of run and play space. (hence the modified a bit for Monk lovers setup).

My bunnies LOVE to be outdoors so I have them usually in a pen out side that is BIG and give shade and shelter, and is secure agains predators) but I want to move it off the dirt, and put it on the concrete then I will add grass boxes and such in there for them. But the pen is not secure if moved off the dirt. (tried it, because I have it attach to the fence, and it doesn't really attach to the house)

renaelock what a great idea for the zipties!!!!,,i have so many wounds from sharp zipties!!..im gonna go melt zipties on 9 bunny cages..im thinkin a bic lighter aint gonna do it...gonna have to break out with the heavy artillery...flame thrower...dont worry i got skillz.;)

lisa_sig.gif

Latest posts

Back