Tips to not scare bunnies/make them ok with humans?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bex&2buns

Reaction score
Hi, i've got two beautiful lops (one mini, one dwarf) and I love them more than anything. They are so sweet and cheeky and fun.
BUT
Daphne seems to be scared of people, when shes running round our unit if I walk within two meters of her she darts away. Even sometimes when I talk to her she runs away. ocassionally she will let me pat her, but never pick her up (which I know lots of rabbits dont like).

Willoughby is slightly better, he doesn't mind getting the ocassional pat and will eat food out of my hand if he feels like it.

I really want them to not be scared of me, I know that they may never be happy for me to cuddle them, but i'd like to be able to have a bit more contact with them. Tips?

Thanks so much!

Haha I just posted some tips on bonding with your bunny on your other thread and suggested you make a new thread to get more ideas. You beat me to it.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Patience--let them come to you. Even more important is Bribery--have a treat handy and if they come to you you'll be ready to give them incentive. Not all bunnies like to be pet or even handled, so it is a task.
:yeahthat: having done this myself - havent we all! - my addition to this would be to make yourself comfortable on the floor and make no sudden movements. it will take time - my roxy is 5 years old and still hates to be handled. neither of them will come near me if im wearing perfume either:p

My bunny Dippy is quite wary when you're trying to get him out of his cage but when you have him he's fine, I just stand there with the cage open and wait for him to come to me :)
Also, my rabbits are quite inquisitive if I sit on the floor long enough, not looking at them or touching them they will climb onto my lap for attention cheeky things!

Just try sitting by their cage, not really looking at them, with the door open(make sure they dont run out!).

And also, regurly go to see them when you can, and go to stroke them and try picking them up.

hope this helps!!

Thanks guys :) Turns out that Daphne LOVES the Christmas tree and is obsessed with it! I now have to fight them to get them outside! She still isn't 100% comfortable with me, but shes letting me pat her on ocassion and Willoughby licked my finger this morning!! "D

Latest posts

Back