Tips for Cleaning Up Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutiepi314

Jessy
Reaction score
I've had my girls (bonded pair) for about 4 days now. In this short amount of time I'm already learning how messy they can get. :) Hay just seems to get everywhere both in their pen and around that area in the apartment.

What's the best why to clean it up? I'm learning a broom isn't cutting it nor is the vacuum cleaner. They also have a (low pile) carpeted area in their pen that the hay just seems to stick to. Other then bending over and picking up single strands of hay does anyone have any advice?

PS: I'm happy with embracing being a bunny mom and having the hay around the apartment, but I'm more worried about attracting any pests and cleanliness in general.

I recently made a cool hay manger out of a cardboard box and taped it to my bunny's litter box and it's so neat! It's kind of like putting hay in an empty tissue box so they have a hole to eat out of but it's larger than that and all the dropped bits go into the litter box!

If you are looking for an actual tool look into shop vacs. They can pick up anything that will fit in the tube and are really good at picking up stuff (some even suck up water). We use a small one in our bunny room that does the job well. I know you can find them at home depot but look into the different kinds available on their website so your semi familiar if you go to get one

As far as not looking to spend money I would just use my broom. They surprisingly work okay on carpet for me at least

Yes, brooms can work on carpet, that's what a carpet sweeper essentially is, simply mechanical. It will probably always leave a little bit of stuck in hay depending on the carpet but should work reasonably. Otherwise you might simply have to do a combination of cleaning techniques, in which case prevention is better than cure. Where do you keep their hay in relation to their cage and litter box etc?

I use a combination of broom, vacuum... and a rake. :p I have messy buns.

Latest posts

Back