Tips for bucks who live with more than one doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus

Reaction score
I've been thinking about writing this for some time - but it meant leaving the garage to the girls for a bit while I came into the office to sit and type it out. It also meant putting up with the girls in the office who kept going on and on about my stud-lyness and how awesome I am. I decided it was worth it though to come on here and share tips for other bucks who might be living with more than one doe.

You know - it can be hard enough living with one doe and meeting her needs - you know - the incessant need for grooming - for listening to her talk all day about what she wants out of life - how she wants to share all of her thoughts iwth you....all the time. Yada Yada Yada...the list goes on and on.

Yet if you bring another doe into the area - it can be risky. What if the does don't get along? What if they ALL want to talk to you all the time?

When Tibba and I first moved in together in the garage...it was hard. All she wanted to do was talk...talk...talk. Her dreams...her life before me...she wanted me to know her history - and EVERYTHING about her. Let me tell you - she almost had BOTH ears drooping cause she talked so darn much.

But then Splash decided to join us. What a relief it was to have silence 'cause Tibba was off kicking Splash's rear. I was able to go to my corner and sleep in peace. Sure - at times I was woken up by the does yelling at each other and threatening to kick each other's butts....but at least I could turn around and put my head in the corner and go back to sleep.

The two does were barely getting along with Leona decided to join us. It was great because now Tibba had defend her turf against two girls....and she would get so tired out that she'd sleep sometimes for at least half an hour at a time - and I had SILENCE. Well....ok.....there were some little snores.

The other girls took that time to sleep too....so it was wonderful. I could even hop around the garage and survey my surroundings and find new hiding places for when we play "hide and seek" aka "Leave the big boy alone".

The girls are adapting well to living in my garage. Tibba claims me as hers most of the time. Now she talk to the girls about her dreams and her life and they all chat back and forth - even if it is YELLING from opposite ends of the garage and I frequently hear "Oh yeah? Well I never did that....I did this instead..".

I've learned that my best response to the girls is "Whatever you want dear..." if it is Tibba or "Whatever Tibba says is fine with me" if its Splash or Leona.

Of course - I do have to take times when Tibba is napping to groom Splash and Leona and whisper sweet nothings in their ears. So far - they haven't gone to Tibba with what I've said (I think) as I'm still alive. Well...ok....so Splash did tell something to Tibba - but I was able to deny it vehemently and Tibba believed me.

So my advice to the bucks who are thinking about living with more than one doe is this:

Let the does fight among themselves to see who is dominant and then favor the dominant one. Spend sometimes with the lower ones on the dominant list - because you need to remember - they may become dominant some day.

And do lots of listening and little speaking.....and find good hidey hole spots where you can put your head in a corner and tell them to "speak to the butt and I'll get back to you later".

Back to my girls....although I gotta say - it sure is nice to have these office girls paying me such nice attention. Maybe a bit more grooming and I'll head back...

Zeus

Latest posts

Back