Tips, anyone???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlondiesBunnies

Reaction score
I have a rabbit show coming up soon. I show Dwarf Hotots, does anyone have any tips on how to do better in a show???

For example:
*How to pick which rabbits to show
*How they're supposed to sit
*What I should look for in body shape/coloring
*Any disqualifications I should know about

Also, include ANY tips/secrets at all, the only one I am aware of is to use the juice from a lemon to bleach any brown spots (of dirt and such) on a white rabbit.

Thanks guys!
XOXO :bunnyheart

I'd join the National club and get their guidebook which would help you.

Here is a link to some great articles on their website.

Winning is in the breeding.

The standard is ambiguous on head mount - I prefer it lower. Netherland Dwarfs being bred in has resulted in high head mounts in some lines.

Feel free to grab me at a show sometime and we can evaluate your Dwarf Hotots and I can offer you some tips. We've been breeding Dwarf Hotots for over 10 years. My youngest son still has a nice herd, although doesn't show much.

Watch the eyes for spots, and any spots on the body.

Here's an article that I did on DH type that you might find helpful http://midatlanticdwarfhotot.com/TheDwarfHotot1.pdf

nockrabbits.com

Here is the ARBA "Standard Of Perfection" for the Dwarf Hotot, which is the basis for judging. It should help you pick the best bun to take to the show since you will know the traits the judges will be looking for. Hope this helps!

Showroom Weights:
Senior Bucks & Does- (6 months & over) Ideal weight 2 1/2 pounds, Max. weight 3 pounds
Junior Bucks & Does- (Under 6 months) Max. weight 2 1/2 pounds. Min. weight 1 1/4 pounds

BODY-short, compact & well-rounded. Uniformly wide from shoulders to hip with well-rounded hindquarters. Topline should have a gradual curve from the earbase to the highest point over the hips, then fall in a smooth curve to the base of the tail.
HEAD- Head should be bold, good width between the eyes. Muzzle should be well-filled & round in all directions. There should be no visible neck.
EARS- Short, well furred, & of good substance. Ears to balance with rest of the head and body. Erect & well set, but not touching. They should be slightly rounded at the tips...
FEET & LEGS- Legs are to be short, with white or flesh colored toenails.
TAIL- Short, close to the body & carried erect.
FUR- (Rollback) Soft, dense, fine & with good luster. Should roll gently back into position when stroked.
COLOR- Pure white over entire body except for eyebands.
EYEBANDS- If Black eyebands, eyes must be dark brown. If Chocolate eyebands, eyes must be brown.
Eyebands must consist of a narrow, well-defined band of colored fur, forming a complete outline of the eye. Color is to be intense & dark as possible. Ideal eyeband width is to be equal to the thickness of two pennies.

*Faults- Long neck, narrow shoulders, pinched hips, narrow head, pointed or weak muzzle, thin ears with little fur covering, dull lifeless or thin fur, irregular or wide eyebands, white streaks in eyebands, uneven width of eyeband.

*Disqualifications- Presence of a Dewlap, Ears over 2 3/4 inches in length, Discolored toenails, Any spots of color in the fur, spots or marbeling in the eyes, eye color other than called for in the Standard, Eyebands incomplete, eyebands with heavy feathering.

Schedule of Points for Dwarf Hotot:
General Type- 65 points (Includes Body (35), Head (15),Ears (15), Feet & Legs (0), Tail (0)
Fur- 10 points
Color- 5 points
Markings- 15 points
Condition- 5 points
TOTAL: 100 points

I am a member of the 'ADHRC' (American Dwarf Hotot Rabbit Club) I have read the book. I was just curious if you guys had any other tips.

Thanks everybody! You were a huge help! :D

I'd def search out Pam like she volunteered. No better help in the world then hands on with a judge who raises that breed.

also, since I don't know what part of Ohio you are from, there is a show in Michigan on the 25th/26th, there will be other Hoto breeders there. You should look into checking it out

Latest posts

Back