Tiny baby rabbit (4 weeks?) not eating!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotto

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new and I hope you don't mind me butting in here. I have an immediate need for help.

I have two young rabbits that I have rescued from our local stable. Both are white with black spots, both are from the same litter and appear to be 4 weeks old.

One is doing great, the other has just stopped eating today.

When I first took them in, about a week ago, the tiny one didn't eat much and because it was tiny, I gave it KMR (not too much, I know about how and when to feed the babies) It did fine, picking at the grass hay and some pellets and eating a carrot top and dandillions.

It stopped wanting milk last Friday, but had been eating 'normal' food, so I didn't force the issue. It picked at food all weekend but today, it is not eating at all. I tried to start the milk back up, but it doesn't want that either.

I don't want to try to force it to eat "solid", I have critical care, food because I don't know how well it will digest it.

It's just sitting in the pen with the other baby, who is eating like a champ, and looks like it may be dying. It has been drinking water, and it did pick at a carrot top this morning.

Is there a trick in this case, that I should try? I have experience with rabbits, I have three of my own....these are just two rescues that I couldn't leave to die. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Lotto,

Welcome to the forum. You're not butting in :) Many members arrive here in need of help and this is their first stop, which is unfortunate, but if they get help, then that's good.

Your bunnies were weaned very early (as you probably know). You might find more help in the Rabbitry forum. The mods will decide if this thread is better suited there or here.

It might be worth reading this thread about three week old babies. http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=47887&forum_id=8 especially the post made my ra7751 and other mods lie Blue Giants (those with their names in blue).

How are the bunnies poos?

How is the bunny acting in itself?

Thank you. There was some things to try there. So, I'm off to the store. Thanks

Good luck!

With bunnies this young, and no mother, I hate to say your chances are not good. If you continue to try feeding them milk, get Esbilac puppy milk powder instead. Our resident wildlife rehabber likes this best as a milk replacement.

I think you may get better responses in the Rabbitry so I will move it there for now, at least. Most pet owners don't have experience with young bunnies.

Hi,

I raise hundreds of cottontails....and the guts of domestics and cottontails are identical. First, KMR (or Goat's Milk) is inappropriate as it does not contain sufficient nutrition or necessary components. I do use KMR and/or Goat's Milk if I have a neonate that has been fed cow's milk....those two products are pretty much water so we use them to condition the gut for real formula. I initially use Esbilac Puppy Powder (not the pre-mixed liquid...the powder). I then start mixing in Multi Milk which is higher protein and fat but also contains supplements....especially Vitamin D. I also use probiotics to help stabilize the pH in the digestive tract.

I suspect your sick rabbit is going thru that all important GI conversion....it's weaning. In some situations, when the beneficial bacteria that digests the food isn't firmly entrenched in the gut, the changing climate in the gut causes a die off. This dead bacteria starts to decay and spreads toxins in the body. The loss of the beneficial bacteria also allows harmful bacteria to take hold and multiply....Clostridium is the most dangerous bacteria that can grow during these events.

This condition is known by several names....we know it as Cecal Dysbiosis. I usually respond by adding supplemental fluids (preferably sub-q) as well as something like diluted Critical Care (use CC with caution as it can be dehydrating in certain situations). I also step up the probiotics to help support the pH (it's not the bacteria you are putting in that is directly beneficial...it's the acidifying effect). I often use an antibiotic called Metronidazole. It does help control the harmful bacteria...but the primary benefit is the anti-inflammatory effects in the GI. Keep the rabbit warm.

It is difficult to recover from this condition...but it can be done. Good luck.

Randy

Oh.....I'm sad. I lost it at lunch time today.

I went home to check on it because this morning it wasn't good at all, but I was still hopeful. At lunch it wasn't able to lift itself up and then had a convulsion while I was there. I took it to my vet who agreed that we should let it go, so I did. They estimated that it was 4 weeks, so I was right about the age. So young and very frail from the beginning. :(

I have the sibling of this one. There were two that appeared out from under my tack room at the same time, and they look alike, so I'm assuming they are the same litter. The sibling is a happy healthy, eating, and playing baby bunny. Go figure.

Thanks so much for all of the help. I'm sad but at least I was there to help it pass rather then have it suffer painfully.

Lotto

Latest posts

Back