Timothy Hay cubes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrixieRabbit

Reaction score
Hi guys!

It was suggested by my vet to give Trixie timothy hay cubes instead ofloose hay to help alleviate some of my husband's allergies to hay. Iwas just curious where I can find them and how many to give Trixie eachday?
Thanks!

~Denise

Hi there,

Not a whole lot of advice on where to find them since I'm in Canada (uphere we have them in the pet stores) but a word of caution - my Moxie,who loves her hay, will not touch hay cubes with a 10-foot pole! To methey look and smell yummy, but the one time I bought them shecompletely rejected them. Just wanted to throw that out there so youdidn't buy a 15lb bag of them or something right away :)

hi Denise,
i dont usually use them since domino is a picky eater, butanyway you can go to petco and buy a small pack of i think it is six. ithink you could just read the bag and it will tell you feedingsuggestions.
ani-lover

Hi Denise !

I don't know why I didn't think of the cubes earlier !!!!!

YES YES YES....go for the cubes!!!!

Kaytee makes them.
7185900812B.jpg

I buy them at the Pet Goods, but I know they carry them at most largerpet stores. A one pound pack costs about $4. There's usually 8 or 9cubes in a pack. They're made out of plain timothy hay so you can givethem unlimited to Trixie. My buns go CRAZY over them....like they weresome kind of treat. If I give them 2 cubes (1 in the morning &1 at night), they usually have a few small pieces left in the morning.

Oxbow also makes them...they call theirs "timothy cakes".

Our Benji is very sensitive to hay dust so I have to take him off hay and put him on cubes when his eyes get irritated.

Maybe you'll end up keeping Trixie if the cubes work out. :bunnydance:

jim

if all else fails, a home without hay is muchbetter than rehoming her. rabbits can live healthy lives with highfiber pellets and plenty of veggies :) i know the HRS knows of peoplewho only feed high fiber pellets and veggies for allergy reasons.

my 3 year old netherland dwarf wont eat hay, but will nibble on the cubes.. he's a very healthy little boy.

Wow...wouldn't it be so wonderful if this werethe solution!! I'll keep my fingers (and toes and anythingelse I can manage to) crossed for you guys! I would LOVE tohear that you're able to keep your baby! :D

Wonderful idea!!!! Keep us updated!!

You can get them at feed stores....They are forhorses but I'm pretty sure its the same thing because its timothy hay.I've gotten some online too but shipping gets expensive if you order inbulk (which I did because I also ordered food.)

Denise,

I hope Trixie likes the cubes, and that it helps your husband.

I'm thinking of ordering the Oxbow hay cakes online. In order to getthe best price I will probably order the 50# package. I works out to alittle over a dollar a pound (including the shipping). Big differencefrom paying $4 for a pound of the Kaytee cubes.
Maybe we could split a box or two.MrsD is from Levittown, andmy in-laws all live out your way. We could arrange for a "Hay-drop" :D

Kepp us updated!

`jim

Latest posts

Back