Timothy hay and pellets ok by my vet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
I posted this topic awhile ago: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=63739&forum_id=48

I was worried about feeding timothy hay, and timothy bases pellets (oxbow)

In it, and from a friend, I was told you shouldn't feed them the same.

I tried a 25lb box of orchard grass, and while they ate, they were not particually fond of it.

I ran out of orachard grass 3 days ago, and had to feed timohty again, as my only source of orchard grass is from a rabbit rescue that sells it in 25lb boxes for $35

Well, I was told by Brambley Hedge Rabbit rescue that it is absolutly fine to feed them both, and then I called Pecan Grove animal hospital, which has the best rabbit vet in the state, and they said it was okay as well.

I feed veggies as well, along with oat hay once a day (Small amount) and dried flowers.

Just thought I would post the new info and see any opinions on teh matter

I feed mine pellets and timothy hay, I don't know if their pellets are hay based (I am assuming they are) and mine have never had problems.

missmerlin2010 wrote:
I feed mine pellets and timothy hay, I don't know if their pellets are hay based (I am assuming they are) and mine have never had problems.

Yeah the issues was the pellets I am feeding are timothy hay based..so there was differing opinions if you should feed another type of loose hay.

Which didn't make sense to me, since my rabbits only get 1/8 of pellets a day per bunny, so I didn't see why it mattered so much!

The reason for the concern is because you're taking the variety out of their diet. It's like eating nothing but oatmeal every day for rest of your life. Variety is good. It creates balance.

Maybe try a mix of hays? Orchard, timothy, and a bit of alfalfa? Gus's hay is a blend (not entirely sure of what, but it's even got some clover in there!).

Hope that helps!

Rue

I won't feed alfalfa since they are over a year old, but, like I said, they get oat hay every day, just about a small handful, which adds some vareity and some sweetness. I get the variety, but with a variety of greens, flowers, and treats make a difference too?

They simply dislike the orchard and I think they only ate it because it was the only thing there!

Ah, missed the part where you mentioned you were feeding oat hay and and dried flowers. Yeah, I'd say they should be fine then. Ithought you weretalking about putting them on a strictly timothy/timothy diet.

But don't get freaked out about alfalfa. In small amounts it won't hurt an adult rabbit. Some of the fruits and veggies we feed have higher fat, protein, and calcium than alfalfa hay.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Back