tilting head?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonamebunni

Reaction score
my bunnys head is starting to tilit to one side abit , like its not crazy, but noticible ..

maybe her ears are to big or i have no clue ....anyhelp?

Head tilt can be a condition and a problem in itself. Could you maybe post a picture?

It is something that should be checked by a rabbit savvy vet ASAP because the sooner head tilt treatment is started, the better.

I think this might get moved to the Infirmary.

Hi,

Torticollis (aka head tilt or wry neck) is usually the result of a vestibular infection. Unless there is known head trauma, there is most likely a bacterial and/or yeast infection in the inner and/or middle ear.Tilt can also be secondary to other issues such as E Cuniculi (the EC doesn't cause the tilt but it compromises the immune system tothe point itdoesn't fight infections) or can be caused by mites.This should be treated by a rabbit savvy vet. An ear infection is much more serious in rabbits than other animals but sadly, most vets are far too conservative in treating ear infections. Improperly treated, it can lead to permanent damage to the ear in which the tilt won't correct or it can move to the brain or brain stem and that leads to a host of additional issues.

The "down" side is always the side of the worst infection. This condition may be accompanied by nystagmus (darting of the eyes), spinning, falling over and possibly a very high body temp. The highest fevers we have ever seen have been from ear infections. The proper way to treat is to culture any debris in the ear. If you have the clinical presentations of a bacterial infection (especially elevated body temp) but the culture is clean....treat for pasteurella. I generally treat pasteurella with something like Zithromax and sometimes in combination with injectable Penicillin. I also use some ear drops....Baytril Otic is a good choice. The drops have to get deep in the ear. I use pain meds....most often a NSAID to help with pain and swelling inside the ear canal. Husbandry support....especially fluids...are essential.

This might not be true tilt but just a posturing position. But if it is an infection, it is much better to catch it earlier rather than later. I would error on the side of caution and seek the advice of a rabbit savvy vet.

Randy

Yep, you need to get her to the vet ASAP to check for an ear infection.

Latest posts

Back