Tilly's Ill

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Tilly had a dental today and came home and did great, she was eating, pooing and weeing really quickly (never saw her drink, but that didn't mean she heasn't)

Then, at about 10pm (bearing in mind I collected her at 2pm) I went up to see her and she's looking sorry for herself and her tummy is swollen and hard and she doesn't want any food or anything. She is obviously feeling crummy because her head tilt is so much worse and she is looking like she might start rolling.

On the advice of the emergency vet I have given her some more Metacam (she had already had some today) and some fluid, and am looking to syringe her a pellet slurry in a bit. she has had some tummy rubs which she quite liked and tolerated well. Her tummy did feel less hard after this.

Right now she is laying flat out, but then so is Roger, her bonded friend. They are both ignoring the fresh (so possibly they are just full, and now is a sleepy time).

I am so, so scared of losing her. The last time I nursed an acutely ill bunny was Moon, and she died. Before that Boofa, she died, and prior to that, Flash, and we all know what happened to my beautiful Flash. I don't want to fail her too. Sure, I have more knowledge now (they all happened before I joined the forum), but I'm not good enough, I can't nurse her through this. She's going to die and it will be my fault.

You can nurse her through it Tracy ; you are very capable ;
It is so stressful when one of the buns is sick that it is easy to lose one's confidence. it happens to me all the time.

Ifreak out when they are sick but I still know what I should do but am just a wreck doing it. :hug:
Do you have simethicone to give her ; it must go by another name there.
I would also be concerned about the hard belly ; can you give her some pedialyte (forgot the name over there) and keep her warm. and also give her a probiitic if you can get one

She will most likely look much better tomorrow;. dentals are hard on them

:hug1

Maureen

Thank you fo the reply Maureen.

I don't have any Infacol (What Simethicone is called over here). Is it worth getting some? It's nearly midnight but I could go if it was worthwhile.

She has had a probiotic, that was the last thing she ate for me.

I do have dioralyte (our pedialyte), is that worth giving? I hadn't even considered that.

I think I'm just very unnerved that she was so wonderful, and now she is so rubbish. Normally its the other way round.

We are all camping out together in my living room, and she is normally an outdoor bunny, so this is toasty warm for her. she actually looks very relaxed sleeping as she is, as does Roger, who is super sensitive and I think he would be alert if she was in dire straits.

I just need her to be ok.

I don't know what its doing now but it was pretty hard, but less so after massages. I don't particularly want to disturb her because she is sleeping and she obviously needs that after a GA.

Too late (sorry, I left before you replied). I now have Infacol and also Gripe Water (something else people use for gassy buns over here).

I'm not going to give her any right now, but I have it so that when she wakes up, she can have some then if she wants it.

Does that sound ok?

Ok, I couldn't abide it. I got her up and gave her some Infacol, then some fluids and a bit of mushy pellet slurry. Then I massaged her belly for a while. I then put her back and offered her some food and she took about 8 small dandelions, some grass, then 3 basil leaves and a mitful of parsley.

THEN I found a warm poo (nice and scientific). It's a pretty decent size too.

Her tummy is VERY loud, so I would guess gas is the culprit, but right now I feel I can sleep, so I'm going to.

Maureen, thank you so much.

Good to hear--warmth may help her out too, like a rice sock or heating pad. I hope some sleep can settle her stomach!

Oh, sorry I missed this! My bunnies more often than not look worse after the pain meds wear off. They come home sleepy and cold but they start nibbling and appear to be fine -- and then the pain meds wear off and they look terrible and fail the treat tests.

The Metacam is/was the way to go, also keeping her warm. The pain and stress will cause gas and/or a GI upset.

I'm sure she'll be fine. Sorry for the stress (both of you!)

sas :rose:

Tilly is doing better this morning. She is alert and bright and eating. Her tummy is still swollen, but it is much softer than yesterday. Not going to take her to the vets because I don't feel this is best for her, but I am going to have to call and find out about pain relief given that she had two doses yesterday and her latest dose was not a full dose.

Thanks for asking :)

Tilly is my 9th actively dental bunny (with an additional one who has tooth root problems, and a further two 'pending') and never before have I had to deal with this. Dusk was a nightmare after his first dental and I had to fight really hard to bring him out of it all, but I've never had them be fine and then deteriorate. It's a new experience for me, but a useful one, if I have to find the 'silver lining'.

angieluv wrote:
I hope that she continues to improve..
I can't imagine having that many dentally challenged buns... one is about all I can handle
To be fair, your Beau is probably far more complex (infact, undoubtedly), than all 12 of my active and potential dental buns.

Latest posts

Back