Tigger has another lump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
As some of you may remember, Tigger's first lump story can be found here...

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=38638&forum_id=16&highlight=tigger+lump

I found another lump on his stomach (although it is a lot smaller than the other one on his neck, and it's hard), and I took him to the vet today to get it checked out. In fact, I took in all 6 of my rabbits for a yearly check-up. Let me first say that I felt INSANE bringing in 4 carriers, lol.

The others are great, but Tigger had to go under so that the vet could aspirate the lump to see what it is. Also, she shaved his behind because he refuses to become litter trained and basically sits in his urine/feces all day :?On this note, should I check into vet bed for him?

Anyway, the results came back that there aren't any nasty cells in the lump for now so she just said that I could check it regularly to see if it changes in any way. I'm still worried though and wondered if anyone else has bunnies w/ hard lumps. If it's not a problem, then I don't want to get it removed becausehe's around 9-10 years old.

Please keep Tiggerin your thoughts and prayers.

Kathy

Is it in the skin or under the skin? Is it a tumour, abscess or cyst?

I have experience of a tumour in the skin layer. It was hard and like a pea, but sensitive for my girl. I got it removed last week, and the vet said that had it bene left where it was then it would soon have ulcerated, so that would be a concern, if it is in the skin. Internally, presumably, if you leave it and it grows it could affect other parts of his body and prevent them working properly, such as by pushing on them (that is what happened with one of my buns last year with an internal lump he had).

My girl who had her lump removed last week is an old lady (although I don't know exactly how old) and she recovered really well. The guy with the internal lump from last year was 9 and we decided not to operate (because it was massive and would have been huge surgery), we just made him happy and allowed him to cross when he felt it was right.

The vet believes that the lump is a cyst; however, I am embarrassed to say that I don't really know if it's under the skin or not. It's smaller than a pea but definitely hard. Is there a way to tell (sorry if this is a dumb question!)?

Kathy

As long as it is not cancer and it is not growing I would just watch it. ...

Older buns occasionally get bumps here and there but you are certainly a great owner to find each and every one and have them seen by the vet....

Hey Kathy

Im so sorry to hear Tigger has another lump, but at least its not cancer or a nasty cyst. If I were you I would just keep an eye on it. I dont think theres any point in putting him through surgery to remove it if its nothing life threatening. Hes so old and seems to stress easy so I would save him the hassle.

Let me know if you need anything!

Hey kathy!

How is Tigger? I just wanted to say that when Angel had the cancerous lump, it did grow bigger rather quickly. Keep a major eye on it and keep us posted. I hope it's just a cyst.:hug:

Oh, regarding your question on how to tell? Hard to say, actually. Since we're not vets, we speculate alot about our own. :?

It should feel just under the fur basically, which it sounds like this does and "hard" is a good term to use, Angel's was what I called loose, kinda like jelly but firm and I could move it around a bit with my fingers, if that makes sense. We all define it a bit differently, so, it's so understandable and not a dumb question at all! No question is ever "dumb"!;)

Thanks, everyone!

Tigger is doing very well--he is acting like normal :)

For now I will continue to check it regularly and update here!

Kathy

Latest posts

Back