'Thumping'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieTheRabbit

Reaction score
My 6 month old mini lop has recently started thumping really loud in her hutch on the back porch.

Google said they do this when threatened, but I can't find anything thats bothering her.

Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

It could be anything from a cat/fox/possum moving past the hutch, or even from the smell of one. If you've only had your rabbit a few months, it's possible that an animal has only recently discovered it in your yard and may now be passing by her on their route at night time. Although you didn't say whether it was day or night?

Have you changed the set up of anything around the hutch, sometimes a change in the look of the environment can upset them too.

Sometimes we take ours out and hold them to make them feel safe. Your could face her hutch another way. My cat makes one of mine thump I just close the door where my rabbit is to keep the cat out. She could be hearing something you don't.

Are you sure it is thumping because she is scared of something? My rabbit thumps for a lot of reasons - it could be territorial if you have wild rabbits around or to get attention? Gandalf lives inside in the den and if he hears me coming up the stairs to him he thumps if I'm not going quick enough or if anyone goes in the room without saying hello

Yours is outside so it could be warning of a threat. My indoor bunny thumps when she's angry, threatened, annoyed, to get attention...She thumps a lot for a lot of different reasons.

Latest posts

Back