Thumper's not well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usagi_Chan

Reaction score
This started last night about midnight. I noticed Thumper was hunkering in a corner of her cage, sphinx position. Pegasus seems fine. Her ears were also cold which has always been an indication that something's wrong; so far it's always been gas which I treated successfully with simethicone. Over the night and early morning I gave her 3 - 1ml doses to no avail. This morning I left a message for Randy. At about 11:00 I called the vet and was able to get in at 1:45 pm.

The vet said( wrote):
I did not find any obvious abnormalities on Thumper's physical exam today. She does have some gas in her stomach, but it does not feel overly distended. She does have some very small points on her lower teeth but these do not look severe enough to be causing her problem.. There are no ulcers on her cheek or tongue. Bloodwork and xrays are recommended to help us rule out other potential causes of illness. Please hand feed her as directed today until her normal appetite returns. Please also give 10-15 cc of water or pedialite at each feeding as well. You can also give fluids subcutaneously as you have before as well until her normal GI motility returns. Watch her very carefully for fecal production as we don't want to keep hand feeding her if nothing is coming out. Allow her some exercise as well as this often helps GI motility. You can continue to give simethicone as you have been for gas and I've prescribed an additional pain medication as well. Please call tomorrow with an update on how she's doing.
I got 60 ml of lactated ringers into her and about 5 ml of Critical Care. I also gave her another ml of simethicone. I'm watching her carefully to see if she's pooping. That's rather hard because her and Pegasus use the same litterbox. I'm just emptying the litterbox every time I see Pegasus in it.

Usagi_Chan

Does anyone know a method to get Critical Care (the mixture for force-feeding) into a rabbit. A syringe, the suggested method, is absurd. When mixed up it is thick enough that it clogs the nozzle of the syringe and then when you press the plunger all of a sudden it unplugs and empties the entire (or most of) the syringe.

Usagi_Chan

I use a honkin' big feeding syringe, I think it holds 70 cc's or more, it's a good investment. (It'sstill a pain to use with one hand, though).

I also mix the Critical Carethin enough not to plug up. Critical Care is designed for smooth feedings, it shouldn't be lumpy. You do have to let it soak for quite a while, it absorbs a ton of liquid (and you want that happening in a bowl, not in the GI tract).

If you don't have a bigger syringe, I'd suggest cutting the tip off the one you have, and/or just add as much liquid as it takes for stress free feedings.

I've also had to coat therubber plunger with a little olive or mineral oil on my big syringe when it got old and dry, that helped smooth the delivery.

Most of the time, the bunnies are pretty placid when they gettube fed, they'll reluctantly lickit from the end of the syringe, or at least chew and swallow whena drollopis deposited on their tongue. Take it slowly and gently, it really shouldn't be 'force' feeding. (That said, lately Pipp has taken to clenching her teeth and refusing to swallow, so at times, easier said than done).

Hope Thumper feels better soon.The vet sounds good.

sas :clover:

Thumper's more alert this morning. Yesterday evening she started drinking water on her own. I went out this morning and got a banana and some fresh greens (Romaine lettuce and parsley) I read about a recipe on the HRS pages that mixed banana with 'Critical Care' and then formed the mixture into small balls. I thought I might try that since I know she loves banana.

Before making the banana balls I offered her some parsley and she ate that. I couldn't have been happier if I won the lottery :) Her ears are not as cold as yesterday and her body is different. I mean yesterday her body felt cold and lifeless. I think she's going to be ok.

Usagi_Chan

Yay Thumper!! In one end and out the other!! Keep it up!

Now I'm really confused.

Sunday night Thumper took sick. I took her to the vet on Monday afternoon and then started giving subcutaneous fluids, Critical Care, and Bene-Bac. By the next morning she was getting better and by Tuesday evening she was nearly normal. Wednesday and Thursday she was her normal self in every way.

Tonight she started showing the same symptoms, refusing to eat and lying down in a corner. She also ran for a litterbox that I have in the room that she and Pegasus never use and she laid down in it. I've put them both in their cage and she is now lying on her stomach in a "sphynx" position in her litterbox. She never does that.

Last week I bought some wicker paper plate holders at a thrift shop for her and Pagasus to chew on. She chewed but Pegasus didn't so I thought maybe there was something wrong with those and I threw them out on Monday so that's not it.

I did give her and Pegasus a few craisins and raisins on Wednesday and Thursday. As far as I know, craisins and raisins are new to them. I only tried them on those in the last week or two. I'm beginning to wonder if she is allergic to them. Does anyone here know if that's possible?

I gave her some simethicone an hour or so ago but that hasn't fixed her. I'll strart fluids again tomorrow if she's not better.

Usagi_Chan

Come on Thumps:pray:! Just keep hydrated and watch the eating like you have been.

I just want to say I'm sorry to hear this, and no, that I've ever heard of, raisens or craisens should not worsen the situation re: stasis or gas.:?

I feel like a yo-yo. This morning she's better again. Maybe it was just gas and the simethicone fixed it. Nontheless I'm going to stop the craisins and raisins and stay with foods I know are safe for her and Pegasus. Their normal daily ration is "all you can eat hay", a baby carrot or two, two or three leaves of romaine lettuce and/or a handful of broccoli.

Usagi_Chan

Did Stacy do a fecal? I didn't see it mentioned in her discharge instructions. If not, I think I might take a fresh sample in just to take a peek under the scope. Just a hunch.

Randy

Hi Randy,

No she didn't do a fecal. With 2 bonded bunnies I haven't been able to sort out who's poop belongs to who, especially since I don't think Thumper was pooping. Now that she seems ok I can probably separate her long enough to collect some poop. I'll call Monday.

Usagi_Chan

Latest posts

Back