Thumperina is not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
I just came back from a month long trip during which my husband was taking care of our 4 rabbits. He is not a rabbit lover so I presume he did minimum of what needed to be done. Anyway, I found all of them being more or less all right.
The night I arrived, I came to the yard and gave them Oxbow Simple rewards - they all were impatient for them. Next day in the morning I gave them some kale and they all were eating well. Then, it was hot during the say so I brought Snowball inside as he hates heat. He spent the day in my bedroom and I had a hard time getting him out. I think they are all pretty tired from the heat + humidity we recently having.
On the same evening, I saw that Thumper is lieing in hot garage which was unusual because they all prefer to be outside when the sun goes down and the heat releases a bit. I thought she was missing Snowball who is her fellow (he was still inside). They are housed in garage when are not outside (I know this is not the best option but right now I am discussing something else). I watched her sitting in the same spot last evening and during this morning. She didn't come to eat evening veggies and didn't come for morning veggies. Concerned, I brought her in to look at her closer. She doesn't seem to be in pain, just lieing quietly. I didn't see anything on her body that would concern me. I took her back to garage. We had a lot of rain overnight, they don't like too much wetness outside.
The problem is that its not easy to tell who of the 4 rabbits ate what and who pooped what. I probably should bring her in for a day to see if she eats and id she poops.
She is unspayed 2.5 yo bunny. I am finally saved some money to get her spayed.
Any advise about her not eating? Thanks.

You need to monitor her to see if she is eating and pooping. A rabbit not eating when it normally would, means it is in pain and not feeling well. If it has been more than 12 hours since she last ate and pooped, you need to get her to a vet, as she may have a gut blockage or some other serious health problem causing her lack of appetite. You can try administering some infant gas drops(simethicone)1-2cc every hour for three hours, and if it is gas pain related, this should help get her feeling better and eating again, but if after the 3 hours she isn't starting to improve or her condition worsens, you need to get her to a vet.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Ok, I got simethicone drops for infants. Is 1cc the same as 0.6ml?
Brought Thumperina is, gave her 0.6ml drops and some kale. She is eating kale :woohoo
I will see how she poops before I let her back out.

I am still figuring out the dosage. There is a dropper that marked either 0.3ml or 0.6 ml.
If 1 cc equals 1 ml (correct?) then I need to give about 5-6 dozes of 0.3 ml each time?

I'm glad she's eating :) If she continues to eat and improve, then you shouldn't need to give her anymore simethicone, but if you do need to give anymore you can give 2 doses of the 0.6ml, ml is the same as cc, so giving 2 would be 1.2ml/cc, which is about the right amount.

It's possible she's just ate something that upset her stomach and it's now wearing off, but if she doesn't continue to improve or keeps having this problem, you will probably need to have her checked by a vet to figure out what is causing it. You never want a rabbit to go more than 12-24 hours without eating and pooping as it will make the digestive problem much worse, so something you will want to keep a close eye on with her for the next few days.

I still have a question.
Now she ate more veggies and behaves pretty normal, but still no poop that I see. If the rabbit eats normally, can she still have GI problems?

It's possible she's just ate something that upset her stomach and it's now wearing off, but if she doesn't continue to improve or keeps having this problem, you will probably need to have her checked by a vet to figure out what is causing it. You never want a rabbit to go more than 12-24 hours without eating and pooping as it will make the digestive problem much worse, so something you will want to keep a close eye on with her for the next few days.
thanks. I would say, her personality changed since she realized her partner had no interest for her (got neutered) so in general she just doesn't care for anything (not good of course). I can bring say some carrots and other buns would eat but not her. She prefers to be sitting by herself and if I give her a few pieces in a small bowl where she sits, she would eat it later on. When its a time to get in, Snowball and her go hide in the box while younger rabbits go eat veggies.

Because she wasn't eating for a while, it may also take a little bit before she starts pooping again, but not too long. As long as she is eating, the poop should come. If she stops eating again and still isn't pooping, she needs to go to the vet.

May once you get her spayed, she will be a little bit happier.

No poop since I brought her in and its been already 7 hours:( She did pee once since noon. She looks OK though.
What would vet do to help her poop?
Any suggestions on how I need to hold a rabbit to give her drops? Not sure how much getting inside of her mouth.

What would be signs of ovarian cancer?

If you took her to the vet they would probably give her a gut motility med to get things moving through properly. The one they gave Bandit once was I think called metomide.

If she's still not pooping, you need to get her to the vet immediately. She needs to be checked for an intestinal obstruction, and will likely need xrays to do so.

Signs of uterine cancer could be something as basic as a lack of appetite from pain. There may also be straining when she pees, or blood in her urine. It can also spread to the lungs and they can develop breathing problems.

update. Actually soon after 7pm I picked her up for gas drops and she pee all around me and there were 2 poop pellets there! at least they were on me so I didn't have to chase them. Let her out but she hid under the bush for the whole evening. Normally she is with other bunnies

Before doctors spay, do they make sure she doesn't have a cancer? Also, if a bunny developed some cancer, is it still possible to cut it out as a part of spay?

She ate some veggies this morning, then she joined other rabbits where they were sitting which I consider a good sign. She even ate Oxbow simple reward (veggie treat) - I actually brought it to see how she reacts.
Today I stopped at the clinic that is open on Saturday and that has a vet who sees rabbits and birds (I have those too). Not sure if he is a rabbit savvy vet but at least he does spay rabbits (which you don't find too often here). He seemed pretty competent when I took Snowball there with eye problem and my bird who hurt his leg. He is off today and they are full but they gave me a number of another vet who they said is specialized in rabbits. I will give her a try on Monday to also decide if I should spay Thumperina there.

Sorry for delay.
She is totally fine by now, hopping again like a rabbit should do, and first in the line to eat :) We didn't go to the vet.

Latest posts

Back