Thumper the Special Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
So Thumper has been impatiently waiting for meto start him his own blog. Well, here it is! A little history and factsabout Thumper: I got Thumper on 1/10/2007. He was turned over to thelocal rabbit rescue here by his previous owner as they decided theydidn't want him anymore. He's 4 years old and he is completely blind.He also currently has an infected ulcer in his eye which his previousowners claim they "didn't even notice".

He was kept in an extremely small wabbitat cage from Walmart, and livedon completey rusted wire bottom floor for 4 years with no towels,cardboard or anything for him to get on to get off of the wire. Hisback feet have big bald spots which are calloused over with thick scabsdue to the wire.

I decided to fosterThumper from my friend who owns the rabbitrescue that I volunteer for. Of course, 5 minutes after fostering him Iwas hooked and knew I could never give him back. Thumper is the mostgentle and sweetest rabbit you could ever meet. He loves to be petted,and his favorite thing to do is sit in your lap and fall asleep.

I also didn't name him Thumper, and probably would've named himsomething more... exciting. However, that was his name for the last 4years and he knows it very well and responds to it. I knew that itwould be the best decision to keep the name. Besides, I guess there areworse names out there...

So, without further ado, here's Thumper!

353274290_b735cfc587.jpg

353274286_89aa222172.jpg

353274284_2aded4e45a.jpg

353274282_c7486e9a08.jpg

353274279_f45ed754f9.jpg

What a little sweetheart!!

Does he require and special care bc of the blindness? Its too bad heand Harper couldnt bond, Ive heard its good for blind bunnies to have afriend to guide them.

Cant wait to see more pics!

Haley, I've heard that as well, about blindbunnies having a friend. However, Harper is too dominant for his owngood. JJ may would be a match, however Thumper isn't neutered and I'mnot going to put the stress of a surgery and recovery on him. And I'mjust concerned about giving him a friend after 4 years ofbeinga single bunny. Maybe one day I'll see about JJ and him,but it'll be a while off. JJ has an extremely laid back personality, sohe may would be a match.

So far I haven't seen any special needs that he requires. He uses hisscent sense really well and had no trouble finding his food bowl andwater bottle when I put him in his new cage. And it didn't take him toolong before he was all stretched out.

The only thing is, you have to call his name before you reach in andpick him up. If you don't, he freaks out. If you call his name first,he is so extremely calm and is ready to be picked up and held. Otherthan that, he acts pretty normal.

aww what a special little man. I can see why you wouldnt want to change his name. Hes so dependant on his hearing.

I forgot you had JJ as well! 3 boys, eh? I know how that is;)I think once Thumper is settled it may be worth it to trywith JJ. If theyre both non-aggressive it just might work.

Keep us posted!

So Thumper's eye with the ulcer is looking muchbetter. The ulcer part (which looks green) was the size of a nickel tobegin with. It's now about the size of a penical eraser tip, anddecreasing everyday. Yay! The vet has put him on a second round of eyemedicine, this time with hydrocortisone in it to try to reduce scarringas much as possible. Hopefully there won't be too much damage once it'sall over with. His previous family let the ulcer go so long, the eyewas damaged in the process. The vet is trying to help minimize thescarring, so hopefully the medicineworks!

On to other news...

Thumper was doing wonderfully with litterpan training up until a coupledays ago. He was pee-peeing in the pan, but not pooping. This was okay,as poops were easier to clean. Now, he is peeing in an opposite cornerof his cage continuously. I'm going to clean it with some vinegar afterclass tomorrow and move the litterbox into that corner. Hopefully he'llcatch on. If not, we'll have to convert to bedding, but that's okay!

That's all for now from Thumper-Land.

I just love him! If you ever make your way up to VA, bring him along and visit me! But you may not have him to go back with! ;)

Thumper really is a handsome guy!! :inlove:

There's just something so nice about the Nethie and Polish breeds,isn't there? They have such beautifully shaped heads and suchdistinctive eyes. Thumper has beautiful coloring too. And heck, hedoesn't need his eyesight now that he has you there for him! What alucky little fellow! Sounds like you've found yourself a heartbunny...:heartbeat:

He's absolutely precious! I think if he stood infront of me with those ears he'd get anything he wanted! Thank Goodnessyou got him and he can now be healthy and happy :)

What a little sweetie - and he obviously feelsvery comfortable with you. Don't understand how his previous ownerscould just not want him any more :mad:. It's their loss and our (Imean, your ;)) gain!

Jan

Aww

Latest posts

Back