Three rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have, actually. A lot. I don't think there's a day I've gone in there and been fine with the conditions of the store. They often have giant fish in 5-10 gallon tanks without even room to move. Gerbils that just constantly have babies over and over and it's like they don't bother to clean them and some mysteriously die because I've gone in there and the part with gerbils is just covered in flies. They have syrian hamsters that all live together and look quite a bit older. (in case no one knows, syrians will fight quite often to the death once older) Their display is this giant tank with small sections cut out without lids and the guy has admitted to children coming in reaching in and leaving without saying anything and they find dead rabbits and such left in the tanks. They have small zebra finches in the very back of the store and their water is always yellow. They can't be cleaning them out daily, or giving them food/water daily, there's just no way. It just smells horrible in the store every time I go in there.

But we live in a smaller-sized city where people don't really care much about animals in general. So they get away with it. I mean, even the vet here doesn't carry the more expensive medication to deal with problems. We took our himalayan to her for a urinary tract infection a few months ago and we had to rush him to the city when he got even worse because of the poor quality of care. The vets even told us that the medication he was on was probably the worst stuff she could've given us. But it's cheap, and probably works for most animals that aren't aging and allergic to everything under the sun like he is. People probably walk into that store and think that animals like hamsters/gerbils/rats/rabbits/whatever just smell like that. I don't know what kind of animals they raise, but I clean my hamster once every two weeks and he has never smelled like that. Even remotely close.

I'll probably look for the number to complain to today. What deals with that anyway, SPCA? The town itself?

I've noticed that some SPCAs do check up on those kinds of complaints, while others don't seem to have a division that deals with that. You'd have to call your local SPCA and ask if they take care of that...if they don't they'll certainly know who to call that would.

I think it's great you're standing up to this wretchid store. People like that shouldn't even own pets, let alone make a profit off of them. I can't stand going into a pet store and hearing poor information about pet care from people like that. All they do is make sure that more people just like them will take poor care of their animals...and then wonder why they die "suddenly."

Good luck. Hopefully someone will investigate and at least issue a citation or stipulations for the business to stay open. Ifyou get them to at least go and look at it then it will be an investigation they have to follow up on to keep ensuring that their specifications for animal care are being followed.

Back