This Sound Ok?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JjGoesBounce

Reaction score
Hi again! It's Jj and Pembrooke!

Well some of you know (ok hardly any but still a girls got to dream right?) I'm going to be getting a NIC cage. I've been plotting it out (boy is this pricey!!!!!) and decided the one in my price range is!

Front &Back: 3 grids high and 3 grids wide

Sides : 3 grids high and 2 grids wide

2 Levels :4 grids each

This sound ok? I'm hoping to attach a run as well but I've already got the run. At CanadianTire they've got them for 31 dollars normal buta sale is on for 21 dollars but as soon as I'll get them it'll go up to normal price and I'll need 4 packs (each conatains 16 grids) so it comes to roughly 140 dollars ( I added on tax so 35 dollars, I over prepare) but does the cage sound good? Then I've got whackles left for flooring, ties and other needed accessories.

:biggrin::biggrin::big wink::agree:nod:pinkbouce::pinkbouce::pinkbouce::pinkbouce::yahoo::clapping::weee::party0002::pinkelepht::woohoo:bunnydance::party:I'm seriously excited and since my mum is tired of my ramblings I'm going to talk to you all! :pinkbouce::pinkbouce::pinkbouce::pinkbouce::pinkbouce::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Jj

To cut down on cost, you may want to check the freecycle listings, craigslist listings, and kijiji listings in your area for "wire storage".

Many people use NICs fr towel storage, and general storage - some may be getting rid of theirs - you may be able to get them cheaper that way :)

Canadian Tire is pretty much the most expensive place to get them. Try London Drugs, Walmart and other such stores. Home Depot might also have them, Rona has them but they are expensive there too. The average price is around $20 for a 3 cube set which is 13 grids.
I would second looking online for used ones. You can sometimes find them for $5 a set. Thrift stores might also have them, but that can be more hit and miss. In the summer, look at garage sales as well.

The cage size sounds good. I have a similarish cage for my bonded pair and they do quite well in it.

For some of the other stuff, try a dollar store. Dollarrama has zip ties that are 55 for $1 (plus tax) and they are just as good as the more expensive ones at Rona. You would probably need 150-200 if you are using zip ties for the cage. You may find some other stuff there as well.
Shop around for other stuff if you can. Michaels has 40% off coupons, so that can be good for dowels and duct tape, you may just need to collect some coupons.
For coroplast, see if you can find some stuff that has been used for signs and is not needed anymore. This is usually free. Election signs are also good if there is one in your area.

Well I looked for one on CraigsList and found 8 cubes for $30.(How many grids is that? Sorry no pic attached in the ad) Hmm flooring, I was going to use cardboard covered with a towelish rug type thing, Pembrooke doens't chew. I tried London Drugs, Walmart, Home Depot, Rona, Home Hadrware. All el ditto. My dad has a lot of cable ties, duct tape. Do you mind showing a pic of your cage for your bonded pair?
Jj

Craigslist it! Ive seen them on there dirt cheap, even free!
You shouldnt have to pay more then 100 for all that.

And I count 44 pannels needed so thats only 3 packs to purchase if you go down that route (48). And for under 50 panels I wouldnt pay more then $50.

The point of doing a NIC cage is so that its cheaper, not more expensive ;)

I was able to find a set of 6 cubes (23 panels) for $18 ($21 when not on sale). So, 8 cubes for $30 sounds okay. I would definitely look around for a cheaper price--$140 sounds like a ton for the type of NIC cage you're building!!

I'm in the US, so I can't help on local Canadian stores. I assume, though, that Google works the same way. I typed in "storage cubes" in the Google search bar, then went to the Shopping tab. It shows you all the available "storage cubes" and you can sort them by price. When you find the kind you want, click it, and it will show you where it's available (whether you can buy it locally or if you can order it).

Also, how many total panels will you need? With the back, front, sides, and shelves you have listed, isn't that just 38 panels? Or am I missing something? 4 packs of 16 panels is 64 panels--more than you need? If you do buy 4 packs, only open one at a time when you're building, that way you can return one if it's unopened.

Anyway, have fun!! I'm sure Pembrooke will LOVE the new digs!

Just a thought:
For that price why not try an X pen. I had a large (8X4 2 story) NIC cage for a year and switched. I love my walk-through X pens. I got them on Ebay for $40 each - free shipping. It is so much easier to clean.

I'm still gonna be searching around for cheaper prices.
@ Krissa : That is a possibility but I have two dogs that could easily walk into the pen I have now, so a cage with a pen attached is better for me!
Jj

mdith4him wrote:
I was able to find a set of 6 cubes (23 panels) for $18 ($21 when not on sale). So, 8 cubes for $30 sounds okay. I would definitely look around for a cheaper price--$140 sounds like a ton for the type of NIC cage you're building!!
I looked online and found 3 cubes for 19.99 How many panels is that?
I'm in the US, so I can't help on local Canadian stores. I assume, though, that Google works the same way. I typed in "storage cubes" in the Google search bar, then went to the Shopping tab. It shows you all the available "storage cubes" and you can sort them by price. When you find the kind you want, click it, and it will show you where it's available (whether you can buy it locally or if you can order it).
We don't have the shopping tab thing
Also, how many total panels will you need? With the back, front, sides, and shelves you have listed, isn't that just 38 panels? Or am I missing something? 4 packs of 16 panels is 64 panels--more than you need? If you do buy 4 packs, only open one at a time when you're building, that way you can return one if it's unopened.
:?Math confuses me, I'll be figuring it out with my mum..:confused2:math makes no sense...
Anyway, have fun!! I'm sure Pembrooke will LOVE the new digs!

3 cubes would (I believe) be 16 panels (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). It would be three panels in the back, three in front, three on top, three on the bottom, two to make the left and right sides, and two to be dividers to create the 3 connected cubes. $20 isn't too bad for that.

Shop around and see who has the best price. And, like I said, when you do buy, just open one at a time so you can return any unopened packs.

EDIT: And PLEASE post pics when you're done!! I love seeing people's NIC cages:clapping:

44 pannels with the roof :p

You need to move over to the mainland, much easier here.

3 cubes for $20 is over paying. Especially when 4 cubes from canadian tire is only $21.

Try putting a wanted ad up on craigslist. Dont pay more then $1 per panel.

8 cubes for $30 sounds like a decent price. That should be.... AT LEAST 42 panels if there are 8 cubes.

3 cubes would (I believe) be 16 panels
I believe its only 13 panels because 4 cubes is 16. So its definatly over paying.

I think I'll get the ones from Craigslist and if needed a pack of the one from Canadian tire so I'd be sprending around 50-60 dollars on cubes.
Grr just asked my dad and now I think I screwed it up :cry1: yes I do Watermelons! Victoria/Vancouver lower area (sorry not allowed to give out where I live) is sadly deprived of cubes. Even Walmart doesn't have any! Like seriously! Don't expect pictures for a month (it takes a LONG time to win my dad over. :cry2:)
Jj

Well you can always start by buying them for yourself because you need a little extra storage ;)

at least you will have lots of time to get the cubes for a low low price, so no need to rush out and buy anything.

Try and get the 8 cubes if you can and if they stay in storage for months who cares!
I picked up 60 or 70 panels or something silly for 30 something dollars off craigslist when i brought home demon and demoner. (Too long ago now lol dont remember) I have seen them in the free section ive seen 4 cubes for $5. So patience ;)

Patience takes time and time takes waiting and waiting is impossible.
Jj

Ok I know you have your heart set on NIC cubes...

Buut, since your funds are limited now, I reeealy think you ought to consider an xpen. You can get one for 40 bucks, 4x4 sq feet, and the height is 32-36in so I don't know how your dogs would be able to get in. If you're worried about a top, you could use 1 set of NIC grids as a lid to the pen. You can even add a level with grids and dowels, simple add a couple cardboard boxes. Thats a lot of space for your bun, inexpensive, and safe :D

limited funds? when did I say thath? :confused:
I have considered xpens but I've decided NIC cubes are the right way, if it makes you feel any better there will be a run attached. Xpens work for many nice and new lifestyles but unfortunately they don't "fit" Pembrooke and I's lifestyle if that makes any sense?
Thank you for suggesting it though!
:smile:
Jj

Hmmm sorry, I thought you said something about the money to spend and your dad wouldn't like it, I must've read that wrong :D I'm completely impatient too so I get not wanting to wait for deals :)
And there nothing wrong with NIC cubes, they make great homes with plenty of space, and with a run attached its a win-win!

Although, OT, can I ask specifically what it is about xpens you don't like? Is your dad still fighting the plan for a new cage?

OneTwoThree wrote:
Hmmm sorry, I thought you said something about the money to spend and your dad wouldn't like it, I must've read that wrong :D I'm completely impatient too so I get not wanting to wait for deals :)
And there nothing wrong with NIC cubes, they make great homes with plenty of space, and with a run attached its a win-win!
Guess so!:biggrin2:

Although, OT, can I ask specifically what it is about xpens you don't like? Is your dad still fighting the plan for a new cage?

I'm not totally sure, they just don't appeal.

Jj:pinkbouce:

JjGoesBounce wrote:
@ Krissa : That is a possibility but I have two dogs that could easily walk into the pen I have now, so a cage with a pen attached is better for me!
Jj

Yes! Safety first :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back