This is for EVERYBODY who is having a problem with worms! Please read.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so I have been seeing posts popping up all over saying that a bunny has or might have worms. As most of you know I recently dealt with worms with Muppet. So I am going to share my experience here. I noticed Muppet had worms during her recent illness. When she finally started pooping again she was passing the worms. It was explained to me that worms especially pin worms live naturally in a bunnies intestine but if conditions are right they can over populate.

Muppets immune system was compromised due to her illness and that can allow the worms to "throw a party". Worms can also be caused be eating fresh wet outdoor grasses and dandelions. Its spring and that is a worms favorite time.

The worms are also contagious threw the bunnies poops so if you have more then one bun at home I suggest you treat them also. Fraggles was also treated with the dewormer.

I bought equine panacur from a feed store and smeared a little bit on a cilantro leaf for both my girls. They do make panacur for rabbits but I could not find it and did not wanna wait for shipping. I treated them both and will treat them again in ten days time. I also disinfected my house.....

When I saw the worms in Muppets poop they where not moving, below is a pic of what the poops looked like with the worms. (This is not Muppets poops just an example of Pin worms that I found)...If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I hope this helps.

14476_181641_090000000.jpg

Thanks for posting~helpful!

Soo our vet for Ripley said maybe not to give dewormer because side-effects from that can cause more trouble than not deworming at all (because the worms are natural in the intestines anyway). He said if they begin to cause further problems i.e. diarrhea/not eating, then we'd stick him on a dewormer. Did you end up with upset tummies in your bunnies after treating them? I'm fine with waiting -I totally trust our vet's judgement, (he's a very good vet) but don't know what to do because I don't want random worms dropping from Ripley on me and the floor when he's running around.

Nope no upset tummys or side effects with the girls after panacur. Panacur is a very safe mild dewormer. I would worry about Ripley if he is passing them cause it sounds like he has an infestation and even though pin worms are benign it is still making him uncomfortable. Did the vet want to examine the worms to make sure there not a more dangerous type like nematodes or tape worms?

yeah, he took a fecal sample and was going to test it and call me tomorrow. He said based on what he found he might still stick Ripley on dewormer.

Blahhh that's just it. If Ripley were always outside in a hutch, (which wouldn't be a good life for him) then I wouldn't mind. Worms in the house though and on my clothe just isn't something I like. At all. I agree- ewww :yuck

And I like holding him alot and carrying him around with me. I'll see what he says tomorrow and ask more when they calls. I forgot to ask him about our other bunny possibly getting them-that's my other concern.

I've used panacur over the years with many bunnies and never had a problem as long as I only used a tiny bit! I'm not saying go against your vet...but this is a common preventative treatment.

Ok thanks! I'll let you all know what the vet says tomorrow and see about dewormer.

Latest posts

Back