This hay?!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester1_andblueberry

Reaction score
So I ordered Hay off of Dr.Fosters and Smith Western Timothy hay. I was wondering has anyone ever ordered thia hay and is it good hay? Everyone on the website gives it 5/5 so I would say its good :) but I want to take good bunny owner advice that I trust!! So is this good hay?

Looks good to me. Personally I prefer more economical options because my duo like to toss their hay around in their litterbox, pee on it, etc and when I was paying pet store prices for hay and they were peeing on it that was upsetting. You might try contacting feed stores near you and seeing if they sell any type of grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, brome, oat, wheat, barley, etc. but not alfalfa) by the bale and might be willing to sell a few flakes at a time; a feed store near me will sell a few flakes in a trash bag. Some of the rabbit rescues near me also buy hay by the bale and then re-bag it a few flakes to a trash bag so you usually get a big bag of hay and end up paying about $1/lb which is much cheaper than pet store pricing.
I'm currently getting oxbow at the vet student discount but without it I'd be back to feedstore hay for sure. It's slightly nicer quality but not worth the increase in price to me. (That said, the 25 or 50lb boxes of oxbow hay can be fairly economical as well though they're still way more than you'd pay for a bale of the same weight.)

Looks good to me but I like economical options like said above. I buy from feed stores as they are way cheaper.... I agree try reduces or vets they might sell a garage bag full of hay :)

how long does the hay last? if I bought a bale it would probably last me a loooooooong time but will it go bad? where do you keep it? outside?

Looks good to me but I like economical options like said above. I buy from feed stores as they are way cheaper.... I agree try reduces or vets they might sell a garage bag full of hay :)

I wpuld buy but finding good farmers ir any farners here is quite hard especially with Texas weather *100+* and Rabbit vets here are very hard to find *only found about 4 so far 2 if them seem to not know what they are doing and 2 are Expensive :(* Hopefully I can find someone :(*

I wpuld buy but finding good farmers ir any farners here is quite hard especially with Texas weather *100+* and Rabbit vets here are very hard to find *only found about 4 so far 2 if them seem to not know what they are doing and 2 are Expensive :(* Hopefully I can find someone :(*

how long does the hay last? if I bought a bale it would probably last me a loooooooong time but will it go bad? where do you keep it? outside?

I haven't finished it all yet and this is the first time I got it :( I keep it inside in a container along with their pellets *still in package*

I still have hay left from I bale I bought.... 4 years ago.
Keep it dry and in a well ventilated, bug free area and it will keep for a LONG time.
Some tack or feed stores, tractor supply, or even stables, will sell you sweepings. Perfectly good hay for small critters but its not worth it most of the time for horses to gather it up all the time. Theres one by me on the island $2 for a massive garbage bag stuffed with sweepings, should easily last my guys a year or 2...

I have 11 and some kits and am planning on getting more so mine goes pretty fast hahah need 2 bales a month

I have 11 and some kits and am planning on getting more so mine goes pretty fast hahah need 2 bales a month

Wow! But it cant be as bad as buying Petstore hay since theres no farmers or feed store.. its $8 week *I used to buy Oxbow meadow hay, but since everyone says this hays good I'll keep buying it :D

Latest posts

Back