Thinking about getting a new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbgrl20

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum so for starters HI! A month ago I bought a Netherland dwarf Mocha, she is now 3mos old and I was thinking about buying another little bunny in a couple of weeks, but my boyfriend thinks it is a bad idea. Would I have any problems trying to bond them at this age? And being new owner with rabbits how do I start the bonding process?

Hi and welcome.

Well lets begin with bunny details...do you plan on getting your bunny fixed? That will be the first thing you want to do. If you don't then it will be hard to bond the bunnies...sexual aggression in a large problem in rabbits.

Bonding bunnies at any age takes time. Every bunny is different and some are just not roomy kind of rabbits and will never except another bun. If you decide to get another bun I would get yours fixed first. Then I would take your rabbit with you to help pick out another rabbit. I would recommend maybe a shelter in your area alot of shelters spay and neuter before they rehome the rabbits and then you wouldn't have to worry about sexual aggression.

I have a pair of rabbits who were 7 months old before they met and they are now inseperable but it took a good month before their was harmony and about another monthbefore they could share a cage. To start the bonding process I let them out for community play time and if things got rough I seperated them. Also I would put out a plateof greens for them to share and this seemed to help, nothing like food to soothe the savage beast!! lol

So that said as long as you have the space and the extra cage to giveeach their own home until bonding is accomplished, I would reccomend it because there is nothing like watching the interaction between to bunnies.

Take care and good luck with Mocha and any future buns.

Shannon

Thanks for the advice. I am planning to get Mocha spayed once she is of age ( which is in another 3 mos) but does that mean I have to wait get the other bunny until she is spayed or just keep them seperate for the time being?

You could get another rabbit now. If it was male, you would have to make sure he didn't come into contact with her until 3 weeks after she is spayed.

If it was female you should only allow supervised play time because the hormones could kick in at any time and they could start fighting.

If I were you I would look at the shelters for a male neutered bunny that you really like. When you find the perfect one (whether it is now or 3 months from now), get him and bond them when Mocha is spayed.

I got in contact with a rabbit rescue here in so ca (bunnybunch) and am going to adopt a little boy lop! really looking forward to seeing how Mocha will react, hopefully it will be love at first sight! keep you fingers crossed for me!

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to theis thread it is March break and my daugther won't let me near thecomputer!! lol

That is awesome that you are getting a new bunny boy!! I hopeall works out...and I think I speak for all of us when I say I hope tosee some pics very soon!!

Take care and keep us posted!

so today was the bunny dating. And it didn't goto bad. There was no fighting, but the boy bunny did mount her manytimes. This was hard to watch being this is the first time i've everwitnessed rabbit bonding. He was an adorable lop mix, but myboyfriend doesn't want to adopt it because he thinks he's too big andwill hurt mocha. So I have decided to wait until Mocha getsspayed and healed to bond her to another rabbit, since I was told thatonce they are bonded they can't be seperated (is that true) I just feelbad for wasting that nice ladys time on the date :?

heres a picture of them lying next to each other

I hope that boy bunny was neutered!!! I thinkits a good idea to wait until Mocha is spayed and healed until youattempt to bondher. I have a bonded pair. Babette is a 6 yr.old mini-lop (about 5lbs.) Beau is a two yr.old mini-lop (about 3lbs.). I hadBabette spayed very youngandLiving alonefor several years until Igot Beau as a baby. Shereally mothers him and he is intenselydependent onher . He is also neutered but still atempts to amount hersometimes. Since she is larger she just walks away dragginghim behind..it is really funny to watch. I thinkthat if something happens to Babette that Beau would be traumatized butI think that Babette would survive the loss of him because she wasinitially alone and although bonded still likes my other rabbits.

Toby, the boy bunny, was neutured. Otherwise thedate would not of happened. I just hope I can find a soul mate forMocha once she is spayed!

The house Rabbit Society in Wi. will let youtake your rabbit on many dates and let your rabbit pickhis/her own mate..isn't that cool. I'm sure that you can find a goodmate for Mocha if you are patient.

Latest posts

Back