Things to ask my vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariel

Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys had any pointers on things I should ask our vet about Bindy.

I've already thought of the obvious like,

How often should I check her teeth.
How do I clip her nails and how often.
What if anything does she need added to her water for extra vitamins etc (she lives inside).
When is the safest age to introduce her to the world of fruit and veg.
Oh and what things I should have on hand for her just incase of anemergency (first aid kit)Things here have different names etc to mostof you lot overseas

I'm wondering if incense and aromatherapy oils (the smell of them burning) affect bunnies too??

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi Ariel,

I brought back a post I wrote when one of our members was looking for a rabbit vet.

Some quick thoughts/opinions in regards to your questions:

As to trimming nails, about once every 5 - 6 weeks. Some rabbits nails grow faster than others.

When I clip my rabbits nails, I check for everything - teeth, feet,groom them, etc. Buck Jones weighs his rabbits and records it eachmonth. A good thing to keep track of because you can see anyfluctations in weight right away.

Do a search (top of page next to banner) for "first aid kit". You'll bedirected to a few posts suggestioning what is good to have on hand.

I wouldn't burn incense around my rabbits. Their respiratory systemsare very delicate to play around with and their senses are very strong.I'm careful with household cleaners I use because sometimes the smellcan bother them as well as breathing in the fumes/chemicals.

-Carolyn

Thanks for that Carolyn.

Bucks idea of weighing is a good one.

Thanks for the advice on burning oils etc around bunnies, I wasn't sure, every now and then I burn oils etc but haven't since having bunnies,I know their senses are way stronger than ours but I thought I'd checkanyway.

I haven't had bunnies very long (hence all the questions) I just want to make sure Bindy is safe and happy :)
I will go and read the vet post that you put up, and I have been through some of the first aid post as well. :)

Thanks so very much Carolyn, I read through thevet questions post and found it to be very good, I will certainly beasking those questions.

We have a vet we take our puppies to, she is a lovely lady, when I hadproblems with Chloe (my first bunny) she was very good with her, shetook her home and kept an eye on her as I met the vet after hours atthe surgery with a very distressed bunny and me.
The vet was very good in helping me when it came time for her to tellme Chloe had passed, she also said they are such delicate creatureswhen young and maybe for me to get an older one if I were to getanother.
The whole Chloe thing is another story in itself, The vet placed her at6 weeks when she passed I had her for about 2 1/2 weeks and the storewhere Brett got her from said she was 6-7 weeks when he bought her.

Needless to say when he got Bindy for me he got her from some peoplewho have them at home. (which makes me think I may go round there andask what vet they use).

I really like Sue (our vet)she is such a lovely lady and so kind withall animals and when I called about Bindys' Calici immunisation I askedabout Myxo (knowing full well there was no immunisation available herein Australia) The girl that answered my call said there wasn't one andthat they had researched for one but none was available( Plus to themfor knowing and researching it)

We go on Wednesday for Bindys' first appointment so I'll see how we go and fire questions and see what happens then .

Once again Thankyou for your help
:):):):):)

Hi Ariel,

If you do burn incense, just crack a window and make sure that it's notright near the rabbits. Preferrably, not in the same room. Incense canbe pretty strong; even I have a hard time with it sometimes - and Ilike it.

I'd still ask the vet and solicit as many answers as you can get. AsPamnock said to me once, you'll get a lot of different answers, and youhave to put them all together and decide for yourself.

:)

-Carolyn

Hi Ariel, :)

Sadly, some pet stores sell rabbits as early as 4 weeks old, but lieabout it. It sounds like that was the case for Baby Chloe. What ashame. There was nothing you or she could've done when the babies aretaken away from their mother too soon. It breaks my heart.

I'd definitely ask the people you got Bindy from who they use as a vet.The more information you can get, the better. I'm sure the vet you haveis a lovely person, and very wise, but if someone else around thecorner is rabbit saavy, at least have the number on hand in case of anemergency.

Did you know that Flopsy, the oldest rabbit in the Guinness Book ofWorld Records was from Australia? He belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Walker ofTasmania and he lived to the ripe old age of 18 years, 10 months, and21 days. :)

-Carolyn

Carolyn,

Wise words that I will heed about rabbit savy vets.

I did read about Flopsy!!! What an amazing age 18!!! (That's leagl todrink in pubs here, wonder if she thought about hopping in for acoldie? LOL) Seriously though I was amazed when I seen the age ofFlopsy, what huge amounts of joy she must of given her owners beingaround for that long!!

Did you read my conversation with the Walkers?

-Carolyn

I did and I seen the pics too :):)
Incredible story.
It was lovely that they saved Flopsy being farmers, as still to thisday some farmers see rabbits as a pest as they destroy crops etc.

Mrs. Walker said that she rescued many animals that wandered onto thefarm and were hurt. She wasn't bragging, she said it as amatter-of-fact. It's just what you do.

I'm really glad you saw the pictures. :) :) :)

You've been pokin around having some fun, then, ey? Good On Ya!

I lost my 2nd rabbit the way you lost Chloe. Got him from a petstoreand he had a respiratory disease and died 2 weeks later. That's whatgot me started on my quest. Didn't want to get it wrong again.

Once you decide to give your love to an animal, you give it completely.I admire your courage to go forth and get another rabbit. I know howhard it was to try it again.

:)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back