Things I've learned since getting a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
In one month I've learned...

*Rabbits eat a lot of hay. Like a lot. I cannot believe how much hay he eats in a day.

*Rabbits poop A LOT! Probably because of all of the hay :)

*You will have pieces of hay all over your house. Everywhere.

Just some fun observations. I wouldn't trade these things for anything, only one month with Gizmo and we're so happy with our new family member :)

I know what you mean about hay all over the house. My rabbits live outdoors and I still have hay all over my house. I carry their litter boxes through the kitchen to the garage to clean them and hay drops out of them all the time. I also store their hay in the garage so I have to carry it through the house out to the deck where their hutches are.

I feel like I learned so much my first year of owning rabbits. I had one get sick and learned how to nurse him back to health. I have learned so much on this forum about how to take care of them. It's been great!:brownbunny:brownbunny::bunny5

That is definitely true! I have two rabbits, so it is only more poop, more hay, more everything! But I love them… also my rabbits grew out of eating lots of hay when they were about one year old, So that horrible hay problem (speaking from experience) tends to die down some. Just something to look forward to!

Hay and poop are why we bought a giant Shop Vac. As an engineer, numbers and stats have always caught my interest--statistically, a rabbit poops between 350 to 500 times a day. Also, a human on average breaks wind (farts) 15 times a day. I don't know who got to count those, but it's not a job anyone is lining up to do, I imagine.

Also I'm fairly sure that rabbits shed more than any other pet I've ever had :p The constant fur floaties are a nightmare! :D

Bandit is a great hay eater, he eats a pile of hay the size of himself every day, if not more.

I have learned so much on this forum about how to take care of them.

These forums have been invaluable to me, I've learned more here than anywhere else, and everyone has been so nice answering my questions and helping me learn.

my rabbits grew out of eating lots of hay when they were about one year old, So that horrible hay problem (speaking from experience) tends to die down some. Just something to look forward to!

Gizmo will be 2 in December (we adopted him) so I'm afraid his massive hay consumption is something I'll just have to deal with :dunno

statistically, a rabbit poops between 350 to 500 times a day. Also, a human on average breaks wind (farts) 15 times a day. I don't know who got to count those, but it's not a job anyone is lining up to do, I imagine.

Thanks for the laugh! Yep...not signing up for that job

Also I'm fairly sure that rabbits shed more than any other pet I've ever had :p The constant fur floaties are a nightmare! :D

Bandit is a great hay eater, he eats a pile of hay the size of himself every day, if not more.

It's funny because maybe we got lucky, I actually don't feel like Gizmo sheds too much, the hay is more of a problem for me. I'm willing to bet he eats more hay than his body size in a day, I give him a big handful every morning, and again every night, and he eats it all. I had to get him an extra hay rack just to have there in case he eats everything I gave him in his litter box before I get home!

Latest posts

Back