Thin rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottontails

Reaction score
Hi and thanks to everyone who reads this, and much more thanks to those who reply!

My cousins have a male bunny rabbit, he is very pampered and loved!:) I quite often mind him while they are on holidays, last time I had to bring all my small animals to the vets because I was worried about a flea infestation{luckily there wasn't one}. I asked about this rabbits size, as he appeared to me as quite thin! The vet said he was a good weight and that most pet rabbits are too fat!

Since then he has got thinner :shock:and I think I will ask my aunt if I can mind him again because I feel I should handfeed him{I am better with animals than her} to fatten him up if he has any chance of surving this winter! :?He is about 3 to 4 years old.

I am wondering about your advice,;) whether I should or shouldn't take him and what, if I did should I feed him{as in syringe food}. As altough I am an expert at guinea-pigs{in my opinion} I have never really had much saveable sickeneesses{sp} in rabbits:(

It's a little hard to tell what the problem is, so answering these questions might help.

1. Is he eating on his own?

2. Is he pooping? What are his poops like?

3. What is his diet like? What brand pellets, is he getting hay, veggies, etc.

4. Is he getting more exercise now than he used to? Some rabbits drop weight quickly as soon as they get more exercise, then build up muscle mass and reach a normal weight again in time.

5. Did the vet do a fecal sample to rule out parasites?

sorry I guess I din't explain myself clearly:sad:!

Although he isn't my rabbit, I do see him quite often , and because this has been a constant thing I can tell you;

1. He is eating on his own.

2. Yes he is pooping and other than one or two that turn out a bit odd because he ate his veggies too fast,as far as I can remember they are fine!

3.He is getting the same food as always, a brandedrabbit food, hay and veggies!

4.He is getting the same amount of excerise as he always did.

5. The vet didn't take a fecal sample, but that was at the start of April so if it were parasites something else would have popped up since then I guess!

My real wuestion is :Is he getting old and is there a point to handfeeding him and what!??

Thanks,

Aislinn

Rabbits can live 7-10 years, sometimes even longer. I've heard of rabbits living for 15 years! So no, he's not quite a senior citizen.

If he is eating normally but loosing weight, I highly recommend fecal tests and blood tests. He may be having something like kidney problems, and stuff like that can be managed if you know what it is. Without knowing, it's a potshoot.

Handfeeding is not a good idea if he's eating on his own. You could try adding a little alfalfa hay and maybe a little Nutri-Cal to give him more calories while you wait for the test results.

And when winter's setting in (not that I want to even think about THAT), you can feed him some black oil sunflower seeds to build up some insulation. :)

sas :)and the bunnies :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

A blood test could help indicate a contributing health problem. Parasites and viruses can also cause "wasting disease" as can chronic infections. It is also important for the teeth to be checked.

I have had a couple cases of rabbits that experienced an unexplained weight loss to the point of emaciation. Appetites remained, but weight quickly dropped. In these cases, I found a high calorie supplement such as Nutri Cal to work wonders and both rabbits fully recovered. Black sunflower seeds and rolled oats can also be given as well as the foods you are currently feeding.

If possible, I would first consult a vet to have a blood test and fecal float done.

Pam

Latest posts

Back