They're here....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeniseJP

Reaction score
Juno has a nestbox with six live kits by WR's Segal... despite having a broken x broken litter, I have three solid blacks (?), and three broken torts upon first glance - (no charlies but one is missing its nose butterfly, I think...). Can that happen - broken to broken producing solids? I guess it can happen as Juno was with no other buck other than Segal, I saw the breeding happen and her cage is not adjacent to anyone else... I did not think broken to broken could produce solids but it has been a while since I have been breeding and I am no genetics expert by any means. I am thrilled to have solid blacks as I love black Hollands... it will be fun to watch them grow.

Did not take pictures as it is cold in the barn this evening and ony took the kits out to count what was there and to make sure the nestbox was clean and dry and warm (it was). It is supposed to be warmer so when Juno gets her treat I will try to get a picture on my new grooming table... and of Brielle and Hope.

Brielle is a character - she knows a half binky will get me squealing and rippin' rabbit gets attention and then she will flop her ears to make sure she has my attention.

Got kisses (not chomps) from Grace and Calliope tonight - I did not have any Yogies left so they got a pinch of oats and ran up to rub their noses on me... could have gotten my first nose piercing if Grace was not in a good mood...

Denise

Yeah, as for as genetics go you can produce solids from brokens if in the past thier line has had solids.

Broken is a dominant gene - two broken genes will produce a charlie, one broken gene with one solid gene will produce a typical broken bun, and two solid genes will produce a solid bunny.

So since both of your buns are broken (not charlies) that means they each have one broken gene and one solid gene - when those solid genes get together in a baby, you get solid kits. You could have had charlies just as easily (two broken genes together) but you got lucky and didn't get that combination. According to genetics you have a 25% chance of solids, a 25% chance of charlies, and a 50% chance of brokens.

I hope to see pictures! Broken torts are my favorite.

eta: A better explanation might be:

EN is the broken gene (stands for English Spotting). En is the dominant form (spotting)and en is the recessive form (solid). Soa bun who is en en will be solid. A bun who is En en will be regular broken. A bun who is En En will be a charlie.

Your buns are both En en, so you can have babies with any of the possibilities I just described with 25% of them being en en (solid), 25% being En En (charlie), and 50% being En en (broken).

I hope this makes sense!

elrohwen wrote:
Broken is a dominant gene - two broken genes will produce a charlie, one broken gene with one solid gene will produce a typical broken bun, and two solid genes will produce a solid bunny.

So since both of your buns are broken (not charlies) that means they each have one broken gene and one solid gene - when those solid genes get together in a baby, you get solid kits. You could have had charlies just as easily (two broken genes together) but you got lucky and didn't get that combination. According to genetics you have a 25% chance of solids, a 25% chance of charlies, and a 50% chance of brokens.

I hope to see pictures! Broken torts are my favorite.

eta: A better explanation might be:

EN is the broken gene (stands for English Spotting). En is the dominant form (spotting)and en is the recessive form (solid). Soa bun who is en en will be solid. A bun who is En en will be regular broken. A bun who is En En will be a charlie.

Your buns are both En en, so you can have babies with any of the possibilities I just described with 25% of them being en en (solid), 25% being En En (charlie), and 50% being En en (broken).

I hope this makes sense!
Exactly correct, I agree!

Rabbits don't "carry" for broken, solid, etc.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
Congrats!!! Need PICTURES :)
I think Broken x Broken could produce solid if solid was in the parents genetics??

After reading all the posts thanks for the clarification for my aging brain. I think what I was trying to remember is that two solids won't produce a broken but my wiring is just old. :biggrin2:

I know I need pics... had to get my cup of tea and get changed to go to the barn.

Denise

%3Ca%20href=
P1010069.jpg

Blurry shot...

%3Ca%20href=
P1010070.jpg

A little better... but only for a moment before back to the nest box. One of the broken torts has a huge blanket, one is sparsely marked and one is inbetween.

Denise

I love putting my hand in the box to check the warmth level and getting "bumped" by their noses.

Juno is a good mum for sure - she even built the nest up more as the temps were going to be colder last evening.

Even when the day is not going great, it is amazing tiny little lives like these have such power to make me smile as the rest of the buns do.

Didn't even matter when they peed on me. :)

Denise

:inlove:wayto go juno - it must be a weight off your mind that she's such a good mum.

glad brielle is settling in - :camera:camera:pleaseplease:pics?? hint hint

xx

Brielle's pics are under a separate thread.

Lost a black kit yesterday... he/she just faded out.

Looked at the litter again while checking the box for dead kits as they do happen... I have a broken black that is well marked, the blanket broken tort, one sparsely marked - I don't think it is even a charlie, and two blacks.

Going to check now to see if kits are still alive. They remaining kits were warm and well in the box last night.

Denise

Lost the broken black and the charlie... I pulled the nestbox to bring it in to warm it up... babies feel chilled to me as the fur was displaced... :(

Two blacks and the broken tort blanket kit left... their bellies look fuller than the deceased kits... after they warm up I will give them to Juno and will bring them in once they have a good feed.

Winter babies are tough to raise in upstate NY - probably should have pulled the box the first night to keep the kits warmer....

Say a prayer for the three left.

Denise

Denise

Two more are gone - down to three. I brought the box inside and the remaining kits are active now that they are warm. Juno will be coming to my mudroom to raise her kits in warmth and comfort -

Denise

Juno and her kits are reunited in the mud room. The kits are much more active and nursing better. Juno is not happy about the change but some parsley has her contemplating that it might not be that bad...

Denise

Fingers crossed for the remaining babies, they are gorgeous

Latest posts

Back