There's a checkered giant that needs a new home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaelock

Reaction score
I am, however, a little worried with my possible new animal count. I would be able to care for him and I've always wanted a checkered giant. I currently have 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 birds (small/medium size). And it's not really me thats worried, I don't want to deal with what friends and family will say "why did you get a rabbit...you don't need anymore animals." I guess I am looking for advice or support with my possible decision. He sounds like a great rabbit,but I guess how many animals is too many for me? I don't want to bring him home and then find out that I'd be overwelmed. I don't think I will be...will I?:? I guess another thing that worries me is I haven't had a rabbit for YEARS so I am a little rusty in the rabbit care/needs department. So I am researching a lot, so my lack of rabbit ownership confidence might be playing a role in my worries....Thanks for reading, even if I did just type in a "circle".

Dogs must be walked twice a day; cats well they just need a lap to sit on; birds - depending upon the breed - need to be fed, cleaned and chatted with. Buns, cross between the dog and cat; need social play time and can be messy (so cleaning such as birds, cat box, vacuuming would be needed).

Do you have a partner to help out that is behind you? If not, would really rethink this; unless you have the energy of a teenager. You must think of the quality of life that you can provide to each "pet".

You could try volunteering at local shelter that has the rabbits - then you could get to know them again and see if they would fit in with your life/space/time.

Good luck and glad your asking for advice - shows you care.

juliew19673 wrote:
Dogs must be walked twice a day; cats well they just need a lap to sit on; birds - depending upon the breed - need to be fed, cleaned and chatted with. Buns, cross between the dog and cat; need social play time and can be messy (so cleaning such as birds, cat box, vacuuming would be needed).

Do you have a partner to help out that is behind you? If not, would really rethink this; unless you have the energy of a teenager. You must think of the quality of life that you can provide to each "pet".

You could try volunteering at local shelter that has the rabbits - then you could get to know them again and see if they would fit in with your life/space/time.

Good luck and glad your asking for advice - shows you care.
I do not have a partner in crime but I DO have the energy of a teenager! I do agree with your comment aboutthe quality of life for everyone. I think thats the part that I'm stuck on. Part of me thinks the rabbit would be let out with the rest of the pack (once adjusted) and everything would be fine no really huge changes needed- but there are what if's that I need to also consider - Some are if someone doesn't get along with someone else, if the rabbit is messier than I imagined (which I am asking the owner along with a crazy long list of other stuff), if he forgets that he's litter trained how would I handle that. I forgot how strong the urine smell can be (hardly remember it now), some sites say that it stinks so I'm trying to figure out how I would handle it, bunny proofing (the cords are proofed for the cat, but what else would a bunny chew on). Thats a good idea about the rescue, there's one close to me that might be open to me coming in and spending some time with the bunnies. Thank you for the luck, hopefully with all the homework I'm doing - and now the shelter visit - it should help me figure out if I can swing having a rabbit. Thank you for your reply!!

What's the story with the Checkered Giant? What will happen to the rabbit if you don't take him? Is there a rescue that can take him from you if you ultimately decide its not working? If this is one more rabbit in the system, anyway, the Rescue may arrange to adopt and foster with an option to adopt. It depends on how creative the rescue is and the circumstances of this one rabbit.

I certainly wouldn't worry about what your friends/relatives say. (I'm sure a LOT of us here get that all the time). They don't know your limits, they only know their own limits and they're projecting them on you. ;) Only you know your limits. Its your decision.

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp - Polo (the rabbit I'm considering) is currently with his owner. What I believe to be true is the owner is fostering Polo in the hopes that he will find a home before he has to go into the shelter. The reason for finding a new home is she has to move due to work and she cannot give him the attention and time out he'd like so she is doing right by the boy and finding a new home for him. If she still has Polo when she has to move, he would be taken out of the home environment and brought into the shelter. Polo's rescue (and home) is a state away. Because of the distance, I probably cannot do the foster to adopt option. Plus, I don't want to go into this thinking it would be ok to give up on him. If I get any pet, I'm in it for the long run, even if I have to alter my current lifestyle to fit everyones needs.

The thing I would consider is if he is neutered. Neutered buns generally smell a lot better and are better companions (usually). I know how you feel. I have 9 dogs, 2 big birds, and two bunnies. I don't think its to much, but everyone is different. And honestly, I think the buns are one of the easier ones to take care of (the birds are so loud and very, very messy). Good luck with your decision!

My boyfriend and I have 6 dogs (we train, showand hunt Coonhounds), all outdoor.
We also have a Guinea in a pen outside
and an outdoor cat.
Inside, we have Luca, our Flemish Giant (neutered),
and a turtle.

The dogs require the most care - feeding/watering/exercise/training/etc...the cat is extremely independant and doesn't socialize much...the Guinea just needs fed and watered every so often...the turtle needs fed and watered when she runs out...andthe rabbitgets a once-a-week cage cleaning and fed/watered daily, along with a few times a week playtime with us (a lot of that is just cuddling on the couch - he is a snuggler).

A Checkered should be similar in care to my Flemish, both being large breeds. All in all, I consider Luca to be a very easy to care for pet. The first cage I used for him wasthe biggestrubbermaid container I could find with bedding in the bottom and food bin/water bottle hanging from the side. It was big enough for him to stretch out in and easy to dump and hose out when it needed cleaned (once a week). He is neutered and doen't spray, and his urine does not smell strong at all, as long as the cage is cleaned weekly.

We don't have any children who live with us, so our duties in caring for our pets is not a hassle to us. We enjoy it. I'd say, whether or not you should get this bunny, would depend on you personally. Don't worry about what everyone else says. As long as you can care for everyone adequately, you'll be just fine...

Just so you know, rabbits really don't have to smell. I have a spayed female rabbit and the only time she would ever smell is if you didnt change the litterbox for like a week or something (not that I do that...). If you change the litterbox completely once every three days you should be completely fine.

That being said unfixed rabbits smell a lot worse. Unfixed males are particularly bad.

For those of you wanting an update, I've decided that I'd love to adopt Polo and bring him into my home - I have an email to the rescue and am just waiting for an email back to get the process going! I am so excited, I think he will really like it here...and be very spoiled!

That's wonderful news!

Back