There was a worm in my lettuce!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
Are worms... harmful for rabbits?:yuck Before you think the question is crazy, let me explain!

I prep Kirby's greens 3-4 days'worthat a time and I stick them into tupperware and store in the fridge to save time. I buy my veggies from a big produce store that is a really good value, unlike buying at a supermarket that marks up the same thing about 50% more expensive (at least!). The freshness of the goods at the produce store is usually better than at my supermarket too. Granted, the veggies are usually a little bit more soiled with bits of dirt and sometimes there are some dead buggies but I figured it's normal in romaine and other ground grown veggies.

I've never spotted a LIVE worm in in it before though! I didn't find it until I was all done packing the greens and was cleaning up the sink! It was still crawling around the drain - chills are running up my spine just thinking about it! Creepy crawlies are my poison. I just can't stand them! I freaked out and sprayed it dead with a bleach solution (all of the greens were already put away, so no fear of contamination).

I know wild rabbits must eat a worm or something else in their food regularly but my Kirby's always been a pet rabbit and I don't really know if his digestive tract can handle the occassional bug or worm. And in the infirmiry forum I read about people with their bunnies that have worm troubles... it scares me. I am pretty meticulous in cleaning his greens but I fear now that I might have to quadruple wash every individual leaf... what if there are like larvae that I miss in rinsing the lettuce? Am I overdoing it? Is a missed worm in the salad "safe" or harmful? I'm so scared now!

The worm was tiny, it looked more like a thick, dark gray thread than a worm. It's not a big juicy worm. In fact it was skinny and wire-looking. (Pardon me while I shiver!) It was about an inch long, maybe even smaller. It was just lurking around the drain. It had obviously survived a week in the fridge before I took the romaine out to clean and chop. And it survived all the rinsing that I did. But it did not survive the bleach, thank goodness. :cry1:

please do not despair,..during seasonal weather-,i get fresh cuttings of greens daily,ie dandylions,grasses,clovers,fruit tree twigs,.occassionally a bug is found,i believe rabbits eat around the bugs,they are pretty smart critters,..i enjoyed your article,oh,my cottontail thinks he is a carnivour,one night he tried running off with my chicken dinner,that was funny ,sincerely james waller

Yeah, I occasionally find bugs in lettuce too so I always wash it well :)

Yuck.
I wouldn't worry about it for Kirby, although I wouldn't want a bunny to eat something like that! lol.

But if this was in a bag you bought from the store, and you've found bugs before, then you should report it. Because others are probably buying it too and that's just plain disgusting...unless you're some mass nature person who's eaten bugs & worms like that before lol.

Emily

Latest posts

Back