Therapy Rabbits in Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MiniLopHop,

Do you know if the online class can be taken at any time? On their website it mentioned classes running in August. Have emailed them about it but I was wondering if you knew since you have just completed your training. Here's to hoping we don't have to wait until August, I'm so excited to get started.

I love your photos as well. : )

I know this is the wrong thread but I wasn't sure where at in the forum this topic would be. Can anyone point me to a thread that is about litter training? I'd like to litter train my babies but I'm not entirely sure where to begin as I've never done it before.

blinkrawker wrote:
I know this is the wrong thread but I wasn't sure where at in the forum this topic would be. Can anyone point me to a thread that is about litter training? I'd like to litter train my babies but I'm not entirely sure where to begin as I've never done it before.

RO Library has some articles to help with litter training.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12213&forum_id=17

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

K:)

I started my class when I wanted, but I did it by myself. I don't know if they are going to have a group do it together so you get more interactions? They should send an email back to let you know what is planned. I know Sarah is working on an updated version of the training manual. Perhaps that is due to be finished in Aug and she wants to hold new people until it is available?

Even if you can't officially start, you can work with your buns to make them more comfortable. You can get them used to riding around in the basket (I use treats to bribe them to jump in and then would cary them around the house). They stay in the basket better during a visit due to unfamiliar territory, but it's good to get them used to it so it is associated to good things and a safe place.

I also take my rabbits to pet stores and have them ride around in the cart. At first it was a little stressful for them with all the new sounds and smells. Then they connected the trips with getting to pick out treats. I will put down two kinds of hay for them to sniff, Becky is great at telling me what she wants. Then when they get home they get the treat hay. Gradually over time they became energized and curious when we went to the store. Now I take them to the park and all over the place in their stroller.

Getting them comfortable with being out and about I think is one of the most important steps because then it will be easier to add the people component. The goal is to have this be a mutually beneficial interaction. Becky and Gary look forward to their trips out and love interacting with the people. The people love the visits, everyone wins.

Well, as many of you know, Becky has been having head tilt issues. She has had to retire from being a therapy rabbit. I am now working with Panda and Bunnicula to have them take over the family past time.

Over the weekend all 6 rabbits went for an "unofficial" visit. My co-worker's son was born with severe disabilities. The rabbits relaxed in their playpen and then took turns getting pet, brushed, and fed. Everyone did a super job! I was impressed with Sophie but she had a short tollerance, not really cut out for the job but that's ok. Bunnicula in particular was super. Houdini got his fur pulled once and Gary got his ears pulled twice. They took it in stride, but I made sure to protect them.

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

:clapping::yahoo::clapping::yahoo::clapping::yahoo::clapping::yahoo::clapping::yahoo::clapping::yahoo::clapping::yahoo:

Brandy, I just love these photos and the work that you and the bunnies are doing!!! BRAVA!!! Everyone looks like they are doing such a good job. I have tears in my eyes!!! Thank you for sharing. Made my day:)

This is so awesome Brandy! GO YOU AND THE BUNS!!!! WOOOT WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that pic of Houdini, such a good looking bun! :)

Thanks guys, we did have a very nice time and will visit with him again in the future. I didn't get any pictures of Becky or Sophie. I was worried he might hurt Becky because she is so very delicate and that Sophie might hurt him because she really is not suitable.
Becky got tilty after a minute so her visit was very short. She got mad after a while though that everybun else was getting all the attention so I let her out and she crawled up on my lap. She's still tilting, I think the day was just too much for her so she will not go out again other than vet appointments.
Sophie kicked me a bit getting her out of the playpen but was surprisingly good on his lap. He grabbed her dewlap and she grunted, but didn't nip (thank goodness!). Houdini would love to do therapy but I can't seperate him from Sophie and she gets too grumpy with people so wouldn't enjoy it. I can only handle a pair at a time on a regular visit anyway, so Panda and Bunnicula will be great.
I was just so happy how calm and docile P&B were. Bunnicula in particular even let him pick up her front end to show his mom (who was right there taking pictures). Everyone was so cute!
I think we are going to the senior center tomorrow for their official training session. :)

Thats awesome. I can attest to the fact that animals in general can be great therapy but since I don't really like large animals(idk why) and I love rabbits they do just relieve stress and make you happier.

I miss my bunnies

I'm actually considering this for my herd. My stud has the perfect mellow disposition for the job. And my son's 5 month old silverfox/NZ Cross is remarkably patient with her owner. Thanks for the pictures and information!

Back