Theophylline

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear, this doesn't sound good. :(

From my group files, I have someone using it for a collapsed trachea (the rabbitrescue.ca director at the time I think), a bunny with a lung abscess (that sounded like cancer to me) and someone else using it for congestive heart failure in an old rabbit, and it is also mentioned that it can be used as a nebulizer drug, but all these files are old and I can't find any resolutions. (And no recent references). I can probably email a few of these people and ask, if they still have the same addresses.

There's also a caution reference about giving it in conjunction with Baytril/Cipro (enrofloxacin/ciprofloxacin), the doses may have to be administered several hours apart.

Sorry, this probably doesn't help much.

sas :pray:

No, that's great thanks :)

You're right, its not good. Unl;ess I can find something, anything, then it looks like my Badgey Boy won't here for too much longer. He is now breathing with his nose right in the air and sometimes with his mouth a bit open too. The worst part of all of it is that he is still very much full of life.

He has issues with his larynx. He is currently on Zithromax and also Corvental, as well as hefty Metacam.

I have to take his girlfriend to the vets shortly (but he's not in any state to come for a needless journey) and I'm going to ask the vet to look into Theophylline. Someone else suggested it to me and if Badger can hold on long enough, I'm not going to lose anything at all by trying it because I'm already losing him.

He's getting worse as I watch, so I've called the vets and he is going to go on oxygen for a while to maybe give him some respite and see if that makes a difference to him.

If not, I may have to look at letting him go sooner rather than later.

He's been admitted. Apparently there is Theophylline in the medication he is already on (at least, I think that's what seh said). The are of the same group at any rate.

He's doing 'ok'. His breathing is still laboured, but he has lost the mouth breathing and the nose right up in the air. He just rocks when he breaths, which, for him, is brilliant breathing.

We have decided to give him a steroid to see if this can ease it anymore. I know steroids are a last resort, but this truly, truly is. He still wants to live, so I have to try for him.

He will come home tonight and we will see how he does without the oxygen. If he deteriorates again then we look at making the best and kindest decision for Badger. I'm over the moon that he gets to come home though. We will tackle tomorrow, tomorrow, but for tonight I get my boy back. My wonderful, precious boy.

Latest posts

Back