Them teenage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler
Reaction score
My bunnies are still unfixed but booked in for a health check in two weeks to determine when the vet is willing to desex them. (They're 3 1/2 months old and the vet refuses to do it before 4 months.) Today I observed mounting behaviour for the first time, and that got me worried that they might hurt each other as their hormones take over. They are housed together and get their lengthy "out" time together, which is when they play and get up to their usual shenanigans.

They're bestest buddies and I would hate for them to get rough and nippy and end up breaking their bond. Is such violent behaviour likely, and should I separate them? Maybe put a wire gauze up in their cage as a divider?

Even if I divide their cage, they'll still be out around my apartment most of the day. I've tried putting them out one at a time, taking turns, but when I do the one left in the cage gets all sulky and won't stop rattling the cage door. And the one let out will stay near the cage and keep bumping noses with my miserable "prisoner".

To separate or not to separate? :nerves1

If it were me I would separate them. I wouldn't even let them play together since the risk of injury would still be there. If you're not sure on gender there is also the "oops litter" risk factor.

I would separate until they get fixed. Apparently, younger bonds are not nearly as strong as post-fixing bonds, and separating them won't do much harm. Young buns can more easily adapt to change. If you continue to keep them together and the buns fight, it will be REALLY hard to rebond them. Breaking out in a fight can leave a very stubborn, lasting impression.

I know it's hard to see them pout-- my bun pouts ALL THE TIME. It's heartbreaking. But it's really for the best. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back