The troublesome twosome

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekgirl101

Reaction score
How old are they? What breed type are they? These are the questions I should've asked at their temporary stay in Pet Smart where I bought them, but I totally forgot after waiting 40 minutes for a single person to notice I was interested in purchasing a pair of rabbits and not just going aww at them. Luckily though I learned they were both female and had been spayed but were still requiring vaccinations. I was supposed to get a free health check but living 2 towns away and having no means of transport except either a bus or a car at weekends when my husband was free meant that I couldn't arrange for one any time soon, and the following weekend I was going to be out all day which put more pressure on us. We were gonna have to miss out on the free check and arrange one with a local vet instead.

Their first day here they were terribly nervous as they came out of their boxes into the hallway. They cautiously sniffed around, bobbing their heads up and down and sniffing everything in sight. They always kept an arms-length distance from me, staring at me with their eyes wide open showing the whites at the sides of their eyes, then dashing off to hide inside the big cardboard tunnel I made for them. Bonding wasn't going to happen today.

Day 2 and me and Tony (my husband) realised we used far too much sawdust for the floor of their cage. Half of it was on the floor and the low table the cage was on. They glared at us from a corner of their cage, their backs to us. Neither of us could speak rabbit so we didn't know that this was their way of telling us to get lost.

Once they were out on the floor though it was a different story. They immediately shot back and forth up and down the hallway, in and out of both tunnels. Each passing moment they got more and more used to their surroundings. One of them even started doing funny little kicks in the air. Whilst they were busy nudging toys and dashing up and down the hallway I was busy in the next room adjusting their dig box as it was too tall and with another cardboard box I built them a "rabbit chapel." I stuffed some hay inside and put in their food bowl and they immediately took a liking to it.

I sat down in the doorway watching them dashing around, stopping to snuggle together, grooming each other, eating inside the little rabbit chapel. One of them got a little daring and approached me, sniffing my knee. I put my hand nearby and it dashed off, but then came back again to sniff the hand and then dashed off again. It was slow progress but none-the-less progress.

Hours ticked by and just watching them was wearing me out. Every few hours I had to keep sweeping up their poopies onto a small brushpan and dropping them into their litter box. They constantly kept inspecting me, sniffing my hands, feet and knees, and rushing off again. They got more and more daring each time, sometimes putting their paws on my legs to look over me. Eventually curiosity took over and they jumped over my legs and started to investigate the living room. Me and Tony were worried that the number of cables in this room would be too irresistable for tiny teeth as the room was not yet bunny proof, so whenever they approached the cables we slowly walked over and would wave a hand over them if they took interest in one. This and the constant poopie scooping made it a very exhausting night for me.

Day 3 and the bunnies are struggling a little less when it comes to getting them out of the cage. Last night was bad though, the little one is the big kicker and left a couple of nasty scratches on my chest as she struggled for freedom. We still haven't come up with names yet, I've been referring to them temporarily as Flopsie and Mopsie but I haven't yet assigned the names to any particular one. The bigger girl is more adventurous than the little one and they often do things together, also the rabbit language she shows me tends to be "you're not a nice person" but she has braved approaching me, even so close as to letting me touch an ear or her nose for a second. The smaller one hates my guts though and kicks like crazy when I try to pick her up. I may end up calling them something like Kick and Lara, even though Kick is a boy's name.

Today they've braved the stairs and gone all the way up to the top landing. They've been up here for some time now, relaxing with a couple of chew toys nearby. I had to clear the lower shelf of the book stands here as they started chewing on the books and I pushed a large vase into a corner one of them began digging at. They seem pretty content, just laying there together peacefully. The little one (Kick) doesn't have her back to me tonight, maybe that's a good sign. Lara just spread her back legs out and is just enjoying the luxury. I can hear a gurgling sound coming from one of them, like trapped air escaping. I was hearing it yesterday too, perhaps this new food is giving one of them an icky tummy. I should get them to have a checkup with a vet asap to make sure they're healthy bunnies and hopefully learn of their age and get them vaccinated.

I agree time and patience. I rescued a bunny this past July that was let loose in a sub-division. For several weeks she would run to the back of her cage as soon as I came near, then eventually she came to the front of her cage and took treats from my hand, now she loves to get pets in the morning on her terms.

So it will come.

Last night I tried something different for their cage to reduce the confusion. I replaced the sawdust with a lovely orange and yellow beach towel and placed their little pet bed inside the cage. I put sawdust and lots of hay in the litter tray and moved the hay feeder so it was above the toilet.

Today I'm now getting a clearer picture of what's going on. One rabbit is using the litter tray but the other is still using a corner as its toilet. I'm gonna have to watch to see which one is responsible, and maybe invest in a 2nd litter tray if it's a case of them not sharing the same litter tray.

They've gotten the idea that the pet bed is a nice and comfy place to snuggle in, they were in there together snuggled up today when I went to check on them and give them their pellets. It seems the gurgling noises are coming from Kick, definitely doesn't sound pleasant and is probably causing her a lot of internal pain. I'm gonna make an appointment with the vets to get her checked up.

Yesterday I bought Lara and Kick (as they have now officially been named) a new pet toilet for both inside their cage and outside. They seem quite happy with the new arrangements for their cage, however they haven't quite got the hang of it outside the cage. I resorted to laying down paper and cardboard around the litter boxes.

I bought a baby gate to protect the front door, although I can't yet install it as it's in need of some expensive extension bits. The gate will happen next week I guess when I get my next lot of spending cash.

Getting the bunnies into their cage at night is really proving a chore, on top of that I think I'm scaring the bunnies to death. They're rushing about the place when it comes to picking them up and hiding into corners as tight little balls with their rears high up. I tried to make a peace offering today with a few leafs of spinach, but they're still afraid of me. Even if I move or talk they dart off. It's not looking good at all. :(

My bunnies are not happy bunnies. :( They cower when I go near them, they run away and hide when I get too close, they freeze up into tiny balls if I reach down to pick them up or try to escape.

Kick has been less kicky when picking her up, she relaxes a little bit when I pet her but she's still on edge and when she wants to let go she starts to squirm and kick. Lara is ultimately petrified of being picked up, her eyes are wide open showing the whites and she is eager to be put down the moment she is picked up. No matter what I've done to attempt to show them that I'm not going to harm them is just not working out. I've tried talking to them calmly, petting them whilst both picked up and on the floor, offering them the occassional grape or handful of spinach as a peace offering, but it's still not working out.

They're afraid of me. They no longer do binkies in the hallway. They just dash into the tubes to the toilet area, hide in the rabbit chapel, or they go upstairs and just sit up there doing nothing. Once I go up the stairs they get out of their relaxed positions and get read to bolt it and hide. If I go on my hands and knees to their level they run and hide under the book case. I tried putting my hand at a position they could sniff at it, most the time they go just a few inches towards me and then start to turn away in fear. If they sniff the hand they do it with an outstretched neck and then immediately turn and run.

I honestly don't know what to do to assure them I am not going to harm them. I no longer see them come into the living room. They just hide upstairs all day on the landing. I can't think of what I've done to scare them so much apart from trying to catch them as they run away and pick them up to put them in their cage at bedtime. I only ever raised my voice once when one got her teeth around my laptop cable and that was just a "Oh no!" and she legged it out of the room.

I think I'm not a very good bunny owner, I don't think they'll ever forgive me for scaring them so much.

If you start hearing the tune to Popeye beware, my bunnies just ate 2 handfuls of fresh spinach of out my hand today. They love the stuff! I got a little lick from Kick and then she experimented with my finger thinking it was another sprig of spinach... ouch!

When it's time to go up, we have a litter box in side and apple box--the one with a top and bottom piece. I cut a hole in each end and put a litter box with shredded newspaper inside, which they love to play with/in. I just herd them to the box and they go right in and then I hold up one of the holes to the door of their hutch. Simple and easy.

I decided to go another route. Since the bunnies like to relax upstairs I've moved the bookshelf into the bedroom and put the rabbit cage there. Now they can happily jump in and out without me carrying them. I'll still keep up with holding them now and then but now they'll be at floor level and not 5ft in the air it'll be less traumatising and they can happily hop down if they don't feel happy and not get injured.

They've been a little less scared today. This morning they were sniffing around me and Tony (my husband) and doing a couple of binkies. Tonight when we got home they came to the front door to greet us and have been sniffing around our feet and hands. They still get startled now and then and run off into their little chapel, and then they either come out and investigate or munch away at the hay inside.

Well, good luck with your babies. I don't really have any advice for you. My rabbit pretty much made himself at home right away. Isn't too fond of being picked up, but I have other tricks of getting him in without chasing. Chasing is a big pain. However Harvey always come running when I shake his craisen bag. Then I just lure him in with food haha. That way it's less stressful for both of us.

The bunnies couldn't be more happier with their new arrangements! They hopped into their cage when it was bedtime and this morning when Tony let them out they've been non-stop dashing up and down the hallway, up and down the stairs, sniffed me a few times, and playing with their toys. I'm happy they're happy once again. Bonding is back to stage 1 however but they're slowly regaining my trust.

I bought some fresh parsley and basil pots today and tried them on a bunch of each. Kick was happily nibbling away from one hand while I sneaked in a few tickles on her head and behind her ears. Lara was just staying in the cage so I was feeding her the herbs through the cage bars. Kick was hungry for more so I had to keep distracting her while I was feeding Lara, greedy bunnies. :D

Tony was unable to sleep with worry last night. He was talking of taking the rabbits back to the shop, unsure if I was a good pet owner and wasn't taking care of them. He told me he put a load of hay into the feeder because it was empty and they were wolfing it down like they'd been starved. I told him I already filled the feeder twice that day and gave them half an apple between them and a handful of parsley and basil. I checked their cage to see what was going on and there was an inch of hay at the bottom of their cage. Definitely not starving. :p I need to remind him of Norns from Creatures 3 how they had emptied a carrot dispensers full of carrots and moaning they were hungry while surrounded by a million carrots.

I gotta admit when you see the rabbits pulling desperately at the hay from the feeder and wolfing it all down within minutes it would make one think they are being starved. I'm topping that hay feeder like 3-4 times a day and they're just munching it down as fast as it's going in. It's top-grade fresh timothy grass, has a powerful sweet fragrance to it, not like the dead grass that's in normal pet shops. It's also very expensive too, I think he's also worried at the rate they're eating it we won't be able to afford to eat ourselves. Their pellets also go down fast in the morning, by noon it's all gone. That's expensive vet-recommended stuff imported from Germany, same place we're ordering the hay from.

I dunno what's with the bunnies today. They've been behaving ultra scared around me. Lara is constantly hiding in her cage, I've tried taking her out and holding her but she squirms and fights to get away, and Kick has been dodging my hands and running off when I reach for her to sniff them. I went to bring Lara downstairs to the living room and she nearly squirmed free at the very top of the stairs, I was seconds from dropping her that I had to quickly turn around to the landing and go on my knees so that she landed on the landing safely. I picked her up again and brought her downstairs and sat on the sofa where there was a couple of grapes and a handful of parsley. She wasn't interested at all, she just wanted to go down. I put the parsley down on the floor but she had already gone, so I went after her to give her at a couple of grapes as a peace offering. When I got back downstairs the parsley was all gone - Kick found it. :p

I got a couple of bunches of spinach later on and went upstairs looking for Lara, as usual she was hiding in her cage. I took her out and offered her a few leaves. She munched away cautiously until she had enough, then I let her be. Kick was waiting downstairs for me so I let her have the rest of the leaves and a couple of grapes.

Lara hasn't done a great deal today still, as soon as she sees me she legs it and makes a hell of a noise as she darts into the cardboard tunnel and embeds herself in the middle. I wish she wasn't so scared. I don't think my handling Lara on a daily basis is helping her at all, she just doesn't seem to be coming out of her shell and is more and more afraid of me.

Bought some fresh carrots today from the nearby greengrocer. Washed the leafy greens and cut off a tiny bit of the carrot with it, thinly sliced a couple of medallions, and took it upstairs with a handful of fresh basil. They took interest in the carrot greens momentarily but then turned their noses up at it and the carrot medallions and went straight for the basil. They don't even share the same love for parsley no more. If it's not rabbit pellets, timothy hay, basil, apple, grape, or spinach they're not as interested. Fussy bunnies!

I live and learn I guess. Today I discovered that the hay I've been using as both the rabbits' toilet and food was an expensive blend of timothy hay and dandelion. Not that I know a vast amount of German to realise it was way too good for rabbit toilets. So today I bought a bag of fresh hay from the pet shop, certainly smells much different, and mixed it with the timothy hay in their feeder. I'll be using that stuff from now on to line their toilets. They seem not too interested in it, at least the smaller one doesn't. For once their hay feeder wasn't totally emptied within the hour. I don't think they like it. :p

Lara is still extremely scared of us. She trembles when I come near her. I've tried to not be so touchy-feely with her as I guess the frequent picking up and putting her down has traumatised her. I'm letting her decide whether she wants to nudge me with her nose or not. She seems more confident when Kick is there.

Kick has gone more and more adventurous. Today she got into our bedroom, whoops, and was having a ball exploring the new sights. She's been making frequent visits to the living room too and greets us when we arrive home. She has a nose for apple cores, I have to make sure I dispose of them in the bin otherwise she comes from upstairs all the way to the living room and tries to run off with it. She's eager for treats whenever I bring them upstairs, I have to try and distract her while I pass some to Lara. I want Lara to come more closer to the point where she has to put her paws on me to reach the treats, but Kick just won't let me. If she can get to it first she will. Kick has virtually climbed on top of me to reach a small handful of basil. It's quite amusing but it's a little irritating when I'm trying to break one of the bunnies confidence so she isn't afraid of approaching me no more.

Lara gave me some kisses the other day, although I think she was just licking off the apple juice from my fingers after eating a slice of apple. Lately though she hasn't deserved treats, she's taken to wanting to destroy cables and the woodwork. I'm not happy with her, I know she's scared and frustrated and is taking it out on everything, but I fear her frustration will get her killed if her teeth go through a mains cable when I'm not looking. She's ripping up everything she sees now - rabbit chapel has had its insides torn apart, she found a load of excess cardboard bits that she's been tearing up, she's been trying to nibble through the rabbit cage even though there's an opening to get in and out of, and any mail that arrives she chews up if it hits the floor. I honestly don't know what to do with her, considered putting the rabbit lead on her and taking her out to let off some of her steam on nature.

Kick is now leaping up onto the sofa. I encouraged her with some spinach and now she keeps hopping up every so often to check for more. She's been a greedy little bugger. She's had like half a bag of spinach today and when I went upstairs to give Lara a handful she kept pushing her way in to try and get some, even nibbling the stems sticking out of Lara's mouth! Giving Lara her daily treat of a grape was also difficult as an ever determined Kick kept trying to push her way in frantically after the grapes. She was so desperate for a grape that she was licking the juices that landed on the floor. Lara then kept trying to eat my fingers as the juices made her think it was another grape. She later got the hint they were fingers and instead gave a little lick. She let me touch her head briefly but wasn't too keen on the contact. I think she was appreciative that I was feeding her with one hand and fending Kick off with the other.

Speaking of which Kick has just arrived under my feet and is sniffing around for more treats, lol.

Latest posts

Back