The trials of giving rabbits meds....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
So Valuran really hates the liquid Baytril. And Imean HATES it.Putting it on any food didn't work either. Bythat time, he knew the taste/smell of it and would run away. Also, byus doing this to him, even though it's for his own good, has reallyeffect our relationship with the rabbit badly.

Now when he sees us, he runs in the back of the cage. He hides behindfurniture and under the table when we come into the room. Yesterday, hewouldn't come out the cage all day long. :(

Last night we tried giving him his meds and finally said enough isenough. It is just too stressful for him. He was grunting, biting, youcould see the whites of his eyes, he struggled like I've never seen arabbit struggle before.We were actually worried he'd hurthimself,he was fighting that hard to get away.Sothis morning I called the vet to see if they'd give us the pill formand I had to fight to get it! The doctor was trying to talk me out ofit, saying you can't give rabbits pills and that one always has toswaddle and force it down their throat. Maybe I'm a pansy when it comesto my rabbits or something, but I know I wouldn't like someone thatmuch bigger than me doing what we were doing to him. Even if it is forhis own good.

Sorry for the rant. I'm glad I stood firm with the doctor, telling himflat out I have three rabbits and I'm experienced at both giving pillsto them and force feeding if I have to (remember Abby?), but that thiswas too stressful for Valuran and as we were offered the pills in thefirst place, I'd like to have them. So I'm going in at one today topick them up. Yes, I can be a you know what when I have to be.

Stephanie wrote:
So this morning I called the vet to see if they'dgive us the pill form and I had to fight to get it! The doctor wastrying to talk me out of it, saying you can't give rabbits pills andthat one always has to swaddle and force it down their throat. MaybeI'm a pansy when it comes to my rabbits or something, but I know Iwouldn't like someone that much bigger than me doing what we were doingto him. Even if it is for his own good.

Giving pills to a rabbit is a snap with a "pill popper". Askthe vet for one and tell him you'll be giving the pills. Onceyou get quick and experience, the entire episode takes place so quicklythat there is no time for bunny get mad and hold a grudge because hewon't even know what just happened LOL You can holdthe rabbit on it's back and pop the pill into the rear side of themouth. It's not necessary swaddle.

Pam

What's a "pill popper"?

When we had to give Chompers Baytril in the summer, I just crushed the pill and put it on some banana. He was none the wiser.

Stephanie wrote:
What's a "pill popper"?

When we had to give Chompers Baytril in the summer, I just crushed the pill and put it on some banana. He was none the wiser.

Good idea hiding the pill in a banana!

The pill popper is a plastic rod plunger that holds a pill on theend. Stick it in bunny's mouth and push theplunger. Allows you to get the pill to the back of the mouthso bunny will swallow it. (In theory) Some rabbitsmay insist on spitting the pill back out.

Pam

Stephanie wrote:
So Valuran really hates the liquid Baytril. And I mean HATESit.Putting it on any food didn't work either. By that time,he knew the taste/smell of it and would run away. Also, by us doingthis to him, even though it's for his own good, has really effect ourrelationship with the rabbit badly.

Now when he sees us, he runs in the back of the cage. He hides behindfurniture and under the table when we come into the room. Yesterday, hewouldn't come out the cage all day long. :(

I so know what you mean!!! When I was medicating all of mine...theywould go to the back corner of the cage and try to hide. Before themeds when they saw me coming they were so happy to see me, once themeds started I think they hated me for a while.

They did get over it pretty quickly, but I know that doesnt make youfeel better right now. I'm glad you held your ground with the vet. Theless trauma to the bun the better. He's already stressed from beingsick.

Lanna

pamnock wrote:
Stephanie wrote:
What's a "pill popper"?

Good idea hiding the pill in a banana!

The pill popper is a plastic rod plunger that holds a pill on theend. Stick it in bunny's mouth and push theplunger. Allows you to get the pill to the back of the mouthso bunny will swallow it. (In theory) Some rabbitsmay insist on spitting the pill back out.

Pam
LOL I love that you call it a pill popper also! We call itthat, but our vet called it something like "Vetrinary Oral pillsyringe" LOL..... yeah..... pill popper thank you. :)

Well, we got the pills and it's been smoothsailing. As I haven't had time to go to the store yet (company from VThere this weekend), what I've been doing is crushing the pills anddipping a craisin in it. As craisins are new to the bunnyfront here atthe Hope residence, Valuran is going nuts over them. So he's gettinghis meds just fine and thinks Mommy is giving him treats.

i always say what ever is easiest to get the pill down them the better.

some will take it no questions asked crushed into banana. Some willeven take it crushed and smeared onto a damp romaine leaf. But by far Ido believe Banana hides the taste the best.

You can also use the pill popper w/o placing them on their back, youare behind the bun and pop the pill in from the side of themouth. We just call it a pill gun at my office. works formany small animals (small meaning your average house holdpet, large being horses, cattle etc), rabbits, dogs, cats.

Latest posts

Back