The Trials and Tribulations of Introductions....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
Well. So far Valura is getting comfortable withher new home finally. The first couple of days she hid behind thespeaker that is right next to her cage. (Don't worry, we won't be usingthe stereo while her cage is there.) Now she's running around, binkinglike mad and generally a happy bunny. She loves me, but doesn't seemtoo crazy about Dave yet, when he pets her she gives his hand a bignudge then a light nip to tell him to bug off. However, she runs tomommy and falls asleep when I pet her. :p

Anyway, her and Abby aren't getting along very well. :( We had veryhigh hopes that first night, as Abby was grooming her and Valura wasenjoying it. Now whenever Abby sees Valura, the chase begins. Doesn'thelp that Valura runs like a maniac around the living room when she'sout of the cage, not that I blame her considering this is her firsttime outside of a cage! She also thumps when she sees the other tworabbits. We wonder if she was the runt of the litter, when we first sawher she was skin and bones and very very tiny, you could see her ribs.If she was the runt of the litter, maybe the other rabbits pushed heraway and didn't treat her so well? I'm only guessing of course, but shehas a definite fear of the other two rabbits.

We probably didn't go about it the right way at first, but after loadsof research, are doing the right thing(Ihope).Yesterday we brought Abby and Valura in the carriertogether for a 15 minute car ride, then put them in the kitchen, whereneither has ever been before. It went well. No chasing, Abby did somelight grooming, although Valura would run away from Abby whenever Abbyapproached her. We plan on continuing this until the two rabbitstolerate each other.

Our original plan was to have all three rabbits together. That dayseems like a very long way off though. Chompers is good with her, hedoesn't chase, is just curious. He's the mellow bun though. Valura isstill frightened of him and runs away. Right now we do have both cagesin the same room, but on opposite sides. It's a HUGE space, one ofthose living room/dining room combos. There is really no way to dividethe room up, so we let Valura out to run around, then Chompers and Abbyout to run around. Usually Chomps and Abby have free run of the livingroom during the day, unless we're gone of course.

*sigh* I was really hoping for another love at first sight scenario,but that's not gonna happen. This is going to take a lot more time andeffort than I had thought, but it'll be worth it. Valura has a cutepersonality, she's affectionate (with me at least). I'm really hopingthat someday all three buns will get along.

Yeah, it got a little better yesterday. We didthe car ride thing again, and this time they were actually huddlingtogether in the carrier. There was no chasing in the kitchen either,which was another good sign.

However, later on that night, when I *thought* the door was closed andAbby was locked up, she comes bursting out and chases Valura. Dave andI had talked about it and decided that until things improve, Valura andAbby won't be outside of their cages at the same time.

Chompers and Valura get along ok. She is still a little scared of him,but is getting better. Last night she would go up to him, sniff, runoff, go right back, sniff, run off. He was being very mellow about it,but spooked her a bit when he did a major sniff back.

Little by litte, I guess. If anyone has any tips/ideas, bring 'em on!

One of best bonding sites I know of ishttp://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htmIt seems we have a lot of luck having "dates" on the kitchen table,suitably covered with a blanket or sheet, or some such. Bunsare at a comfortable level for us to interject rapidly if needbe. The Missus "coos" and baby talks them all the while,which has a calming effect on them. Will sometimes offertreats simultaneously. Bathroom tub works well, too, but itis not as comfortable for us to deal with them while they are in thetub.

We don't permit any aggression to occur without quicklybreaking it up. "Dates" last until signs of aggression occur,then we quit. After a few one hour sessions with noaggression, and hopefully, some mutual grooming, we consider somesupervised cage time.

If no problems with supervised cage time for a few days, may try anover night. Once over night occurs, without problems, it's adone deal.

Buck

My cat is terrified of bub (who outweighs her!),but when I was trying to get them to play I threw a towel over bub.Mouse stalked the towel....until bub's head pops out and Mouse panics!

Rose

Thanks Buck. I've been pretty much doing what shesaid, except using my kitchen instead of the dining room table, as thetable won't really work right now. I guess it's just going to take alot longer than I thought, but it'll be worth it.

And if Valura doesn't bond with either of them, guess we'll just have to get another bunny. :p

Just kidding!

I hope it works that hey can bond,Stephanie. Patience is a virtue in this instance.Even if they can be out and ignore each, that would be a step in theright direction. A little bit at a time. Buck'sbonded more than a few rabbits in his time, and he's alwaysspokenhighly of the website he directed you to.

-Carolyn

I do a little bit each day. Today I had Chompersand Valura in the bathroom together (a room neither had ever been in).It went GREAT. She got so relaxed that she flopped down on her side,all sprawled out, right next to Chomps. So at least that's a relief.

Abby is going to take a lot of time. She was due to be spayed today,but the clinic had to reschedule us because of some changes in theirschedule. It happens, but still, I wish Abby was getting done today. Ireally feel this would all be going a lot easier if Abby was spayed anddidn't have those hormones racing through her.

At least Valura has gained some much needed confidence and she and Chompers seem to be doing ok together.

I think it's mainly a territory thing. Such as,Valura coming into Abby's "turf". I guess I should look at it this way,if Abby were to bring home some strange human, I wouldn't exactly betoo thrilled either.

As there is only chasing when the two are in the "rabbit common area",they aren't going to both be let out at the same time. Valura needs toget her scent around the place, and Abby needs time to adjust.

Stephanie wrote:
Ithink it's mainly a territory thing. Such as, Valura coming into Abby's"turf". I guess I should look at it this way, if Abby were to bringhome some strange human, I wouldn't exactly be too thrilled either.

As there is only chasing when the two are in the "rabbit common area",they aren't going to both be let out at the same time. Valura needs toget her scent around the place, and Abby needs time to adjust.
I gave up on a doe to doe/buck bonding after three weeks, but I know itcan work 'cause we had two does(sisters) who bonded with two bucks, butwe had to keep the bucks separated because of fighting. Eachbuck spent some time with the does free ranging alternately.

In truth, though, one doe dominated the other and lorded it overher. When the dominant doe died, the other one just blossomedin her own right.

Good luck.

Buck

Yeah, I think I need it.

It does seem to get a bit better, the more confidence Valura gets. I'm hoping for the best, of course.

Latest posts

Back