The Terrible Trio

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyplayle

Reaction score
Like most new members, I thought I'd set up a new blog for my terrible trio - Herbie, Scotch and Macy.

They're all Netherland Dwarf Lops (though Herbie, at 12lbs, isn't muchof a dwarf!). They're my little darlings and live in the house with mypartner and I. They've taken over the dining room and they are mostput-out if we ever do actually decide to have guests round and use thedining table. The dining chairs are their afternoon snoozing spot (asyou see them in the avatar), so it confuses them if, God-forbid, anyhuman should want to sit on the chairs!

They have 3 very distinct personalities. Herbie is very skittish andbehaves like a toddler. He's a fiesty chap but we love him so muchbecause he was dumped by his previous owners in a cardboard box. Atleast they dumped him at a rescue centre. Macy is nicknamed the "GodBunny" as in the God Father. She's the strong silent type - clearly theboss, but she doesn't have to do much to asert her authority. She's theintelligent one too, and the others often follow her around. Andfinally there's little Scotch. She's a maniac and I don't think sherealises she's any different to us. She's very friendly and follows usaround. She's a little accident prone - she's fallen down the stairsonce and electrocuted herself on the iron cable - and they say catshave 9 lives!!!!

More on the rascals and photos to follow later!

I agree your avatar is adorable! We need some more photos!

(Also, if you can sneak in some Harvey photos too..I just love her!)

Haley wrote:
I agree your avatar is adorable! We need some more photos!

(Also, if you can sneak in some Harvey photos too..I just love her!)

Aw - I'm distraught that everyone thinks Harvey is so adorable ... whatabout my beautiful little three?!! Ha ha. I'm encouraging Harvey's mumand dad to sign up too to post plenty of Harvey pics. We'll see what wecan do!

So, we recently had our stairs carpeted in ourhouse having had them as bare wood for almost18 months (we'rea little slow with the decorating!). Before we removed the old carpet,Scotch and Macy (we didn't have Herbie then) used to come upstairsevery morning and rascal-around in the bedrooom while we were gettingready to go to work. Then the carpet went and Scotch fell down thestairs, and she wouldn't come up them again.

So, when we had the new carpet fitted it was so fantastic to see Scotchgobouncing up to the top of the stairs. She can't get enoughof them - whenever we can't find her anywhere else, it's inevitablethat she'll be saton the landing (even if all the bedroomdoors are closed and there's nowhere for her to go). I'm now lettingthem play in the bedroom again every morning - it certainly makes for abright start to a miserable British autumn morning!!!

Aww how cute! My bunnies are all afraid of the stairs!

Oh, and dont worry, your three are very adorable! Harvey is just sounique looking its almost comical (and we dont get too many lionheadson here).

Are your three bonded then? They are so cute!

Haley wrote:
Aww how cute! My bunnies are all afraid of the stairs!

Oh, and dont worry, your three are very adorable! Harvey is just sounique looking its almost comical (and we dont get too many lionheadson here).

Are your three bonded then? They are so cute!

Hi Haley. Yeah - they're bonded. Scotch and Macy were bought at thesame time and have always been in love with each other. Occassionallythere's a little dominance play between them but it's all in goodhumour and never nasty.

When we got Herbie from the rescue centre, Scotch didn't like him atall (she got the "don't want a brother" syndrome!). They fought a lotand we had to separate them. So, we bought a baby gate and put itbetween our dining room and kitchen with Herbie in the kitchen and thegirls in the dining room. We then put their food either side of thegate so they were forced to eat together. After about 2 weeks of that,and intensive half-hour periods of bonding in a neutral space (we usedthe bathroom) they started pining for each other, so we opened thegate! We got some strange looks in the baby shop that we bought thegate from when we said "oh no, we can't get a wooden gate because he'llchew through it" - I think people wondered what kind of baby we hadthat would chew through a baby gate!!!

All 3 are neutered/spayed too, so I think that helps. We don't havecages or hutches as we never have any need to separate them - they justlive permanently in the dining room (we have no wallpaper left thoughto a height of about 2 feet around the room! ha ha)

Thats awesome!

I am trying to bond Mr. Tumnus with Basil and Max right now. They dogreat on car rides together and when I put them on the dining roomtable, but other than that they fight. Im just taking it slow..Itswortha shot.

Im starting to think I was lucky getting 2 males to bond...I dont know about 3!

Wow - good luck with that! It must be hard work getting three bucks to bond.

I'm currently in the Czech Republic working for a few days and missingthe terrible trio dreadfully (and missing Nathan, my partner, too ofcourse!). I fly home this afternoon though, so at least I'll see themtonight. Just spoken to Nathan and he tells me that they've now startedchewing the wall-paper on our stair-way that we paid out £200 to havedecorated not so long ago!!!

Anybody have any good solutions to prevent wall-paper chewing?!!

hmmm...the only thing I could think of would beto cover it with something. what about making a little gate out of NICpanels or something. I know it wouldnt look very chic, but at least itwould prevent permanent damage to your pretty wallpaper...

Well, the rascals have now got into quite aroutine with the morning visit to the upstairs "big bunny rooms". I'mnow finding that they're leading me up the stairs every morning,instead of following me. Had to chase them out early this morningthough as Herbie and Macy just wouldn't behave themselves. Macywouldn't stop chewing the walls, and Herbie was getting in on the acttoo! Poor Scotch ended up being banned from the bedroom too justbecause of Macy and Herbie's behaviour.

We think Herbie fell down the stairs thismorning. We heard a bit of a stumble and a thud, and there he wassitting at the bottom of the stairs looking quite composed, and sweetand innocent as though he didn't want to show his shame at havingfallen. Silly boy!

Ooo - I forgot to blog about Scotch's trip tothe vets last Friday. She wasn't her usual bubbly self on Thursdayevening - very withdrawn and not interested in food, so I took her(quite concerned!) to the vets on Friday morning. Nothing wrong withher at all!!! As soon as I got her back home again she dived straightinto the chocolate drops that I held out for her and started boundingaround. Those rascals ... they really can confuse and fool you at times(and it cost me £30 at the vets to find this out). I must be overparanoid!!!

Hi what are chocolate drops? I was under the impression chocolate was bad for rabbits.

Susan/Soooska

Hey. They're special ones designed for rabbitsand other small animals. I don't think they're quite the same as thekind of chocolate you or I might eat. We get them from the localpetshop - they do milk drops and yoghurt drops too. The rabbits lovethem although it's important not to give them too many (but my partner,Nathan, does tend to over indulge the rabbits with their treats though!)

Well, the rascals excelled themselves in thenaughty stakes this weekend. They're ruining the wallpaper on ourstairwell that we had decorated only 12 months ago!!! We're going tohave to get some of the paper stripped and replaced now. They aresoooooo naughty (but just so irresistable too!). Looks like we'll bemoving the baby gate to the bottom of the stairs soon to stop themgoing upstairs at all. I'd hate to stop them going up there becausethey love it so much up there, but they just won't stop chewing thewallpaper! :(

Latest posts

Back