the taste of blood

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is a bunch of BS. Dogs, wild ordomesticated attack when they are being threatened. Unlike humans,animals attack when they think they must defend themselves. Here inHawaii, pit bulls are very popular and most people understand the risksof having one and being near one. It's unfortunate people relate to pitbulls as evil dogs because most of them are not. Any dog can snap. Pitbulls are just more territorial than others. Also, it is the owner'sresponsibility on how they raise their dog.

The dogs probably attacked the baby horse because it was in "theirarea." It's most likely that one of the dogs had a problem with her andthe other four decided to join in to help out. And as for the girl whogot attacked, she probably got too close and didn't know the warningsigns. And this goes out to everyone: if a dog is growling or snarlingat you, don't go near it or touch it. I have heard way too many storiesof people who get bit or attacked by dogs because they don't know thewarning signs or choose to ignore them.

Sorry, I'm all heated about this. I'm more of a dog person (but tryingto learn as much as rabbits) but it really upsets me when peopleassociate dogs with negativity.

I really hope your horse gains back her strength and health.

ruka wrote:
Ithink that is a bunch of BS. Dogs, wild or domesticated attack whenthey are being threatened. Unlike humans, animals attack when theythink they must defend themselves. Here in Hawaii, pit bulls are verypopular and most people understand the risks of having one and beingnear one. It's unfortunate people relate to pit bulls as evil dogsbecause most of them are not. Any dog can snap. Pit bulls are just moreterritorial than others. Also, it is the owner's responsibility on howthey raise their dog.

The dogs probably attacked the baby horse because it was in "theirarea." It's most likely that one of the dogs had a problem with her andthe other four decided to join in to help out. And as for the girl whogot attacked, she probably got too close and didn't know the warningsigns. And this goes out to everyone: if a dog is growling or snarlingat you, don't go near it or touch it. I have heard way too many storiesof people who get bit or attacked by dogs because they don't know thewarning signs or choose to ignore them.

Sorry, I'm all heated about this. I'm more of a dog person (but tryingto learn as much as rabbits) but it really upsets me when peopleassociate dogs with negativity.

I really hope your horse gains back her strength and health.
Ruka : think about this for a moment, What about the ones who attackunprevoked? What about the oneswho attack with NO warning signs ? What about theones who attack forno reason other than becasuethey want to ?

ALL Animals regardless of the Specieswill attack unprevoked , for no apparent reason, with very little if anywarning signs , those animals aredangerous and being an Animalperson wont save anyonefrom such an attack.

I agree with the Fact itis mostly in the Upbrining ofany animal as to how they react . EXCEPT!With the fact that animals bredfor certain looks , temperment , certainbody styles and head shapes. Perfect examples pit bulls, dobermans, any tye of Mini ortoy animal . any animal witha dwarfing gene is subjectto brain injuries due to the factthat the brain grows andthe skull doesnt .

Think about this - a group of untrained,unsupervised, unneutered male dogs allowed to roam and to exhibitaggression as guard dogs - the dog pack mentality is a lot like a mobmentality. And yes, they will attack unprovoked.Simply go to google and search under the terms fatal dog pack attacksand read what comes up.

Ultimately the human owners are responsible for not neutering, nottraining and not properly caring for their dogs. If thosedogs are allowed to continue as they are, they will continue to attackand kill.

gypsy wrote:
any animal with adwarfing gene is subject tobrain injuries due to the fact thatthe brain grows and theskull doesnt .

Except thatmany animals with the dwarfing gene havebigger heads in proportion to their bodies. Like, specifically,Holland lops. Izzy's head is bigger than Bub's and she weighs half ofwhat he does. She also has half the brainpower--I love Pam'sdescription "dumb as rocks"......and then I thought there was someproblem with collie dogs because they were bred for narrow heads andthere were some brain problems.

And what about people who are dwarfs because of genetics? There aren'tmany true midgets anymore because of growth hormones (hey, but I'mpretty close myself)--but they have proportionally smallerheadsand normal intelligence in most cases.

Hmmmm, a conundrum.....:)I love conundrums....

Rose

seniorcats wrote:
Think about this - a group of untrained, unsupervised,unneutered male dogs allowed to roam and to exhibit aggression as guarddogs - the dog pack mentality is a lot like a mob mentality.And yes, they will attack unprovoked. Simply go to google andsearch under the terms fatal dog pack attacks and read what comesup.

Ultimately the human owners are responsible for not neutering, nottraining and not properly caring for their dogs. If thosedogs are allowed to continue as they are, they will continue to attackand kill.

Sad but true. They are not my dogs, so the decision is not mine tomake--I asked more from a desire to know than an actual ability to doanything about them. I don't know the best way to resolve thesituation, but it is my opinion that something will have to changebecause they have several mares that will be foaling in the future.

Oh, and Ruka,btw it wasn't my horse that was injured, it wasone of the owner's. Mine beats the stuffing out of the dogs. I wouldn'twant to be on the wrong end of those teeth--he can take care ofhimself, certainly.

Rose

gypsy wrote:
EXCEPT! With the fact thatanimals bred for certain looks , temperament, certain body stylesand head shapes . Perfectexamples pit bulls, dobermans , any tyeof Mini or toy animal. any animal with adwarfing gene is subject tobrain injuries due to the fact thatthe brain grows and theskull doesnt .

I have to say that I have 2 of these types of dogs. I have alab/rottie mix who looks like an all black rottie. Becausepeople stereo-type that dogs with that look will be mean or aggressive,I've had several people who are afraid of him. In reality,he's the biggest baby. He's completely undermined by myyorkie. He plays really nicely with my rabbits andferrets. He's got a typical rottie personality, it's justthat most people don't know what a typical rottie is. I alsohave a yorkie, and as much as he rules my house, he's not the slightestbit aggressive. He's protective and I feel that if someonewere trying to hurt me, they would have way more to fear from him thenthe lab/rottie, but he's also meek and mild. He also playswith my critters and loves absolutely everyone.

Also, genetically, most small breed dogs have extra fontanels because their brain grows faster then their skull.

I've had experience with a lot of the dogs that most people think arenasty and only once did I have a bad one and it was years ago with adobie. It's really the owner's responsibility to research thebreed and know how to properly handle it in order to keep what could bean aggressive temperament in check. Unfortunately, there aresome owners who do not do that, these are the dogs that everyone hearsabout, therefore giving the whole breed a bad name. (Sorry,those owners infuriate me!!! :mad:)

Jen

Latest posts

Back