The Story of Monty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, RO! I figured I'd introduce myself and tell a little of the story of how I arrived at getting a rabbit.

16 years ago, I received a kitten for my birthday. Over the years, she saw me through everything from moving to a new town, graduating high school, moving into my first apartment on my own, and the untimely loss of my other cat (who was 2 years younger than her). Belle was the closest thing I had to a child, though she tended to me as if I was hers at times.

Belle asking to come up on the couch:
dobcw7.jpg

Sadly, I had to say goodbye to her in May, just a few months shy of what would have been her 17th birthday. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make...and in her absence, I've felt very lonely and without a purpose. I started looking at other cats, but none tugged at my heartstrings. They were just so disappointingly NOT like Belle at all.

Now, owning a rabbit had crossed my mind before Belle's elderly years. I dabble in knitting and happened to see on a knitting forum that people can spin Angora rabbits' fluff into some pretty awesome yarn, so I started reading about rabbits and it looked like a lot of fun, but I didn't feel I had quite enough space for a cage or the time to dedicate to the constant grooming an Angora would require.

There's a mom-and-pop pet store down the street from me that has had a good reputation for decades, and seems very knowledgeable about the animals they sell. I happened to walk by one day to find a litter of young (about 7 weeks old) Flemish Giants in their window, and was instantly drawn to them.

This shop had previously had two Flemish on the premises last year or the year before (I've been visiting them over 4 years, so it kinda runs together), and one actually belonged to the store and got to free-hop around. I was really impressed with her temperament and of course her size!

My boyfriend captured this picture that day:
mabc5l.jpg

We continued our evening walk after I sat and watched them for a good 15 minutes, and I began researching as soon as we got home. A little over a week went by while I asked my friends, read many threads here and a few other rabbit sites, and gathered supplies. Then, on July 15, I brought my new baby home! :biggrin2:

First day: In an exercise pen with clear vinyl for a floor because her crate was still in transit
nn039k.jpg

Second day, a little while after I moved her into her just-arrived crate:
24malgi.jpg

She got the hang of snuggling with her ice bottle a little while later:
2ezskys.jpg

Let out into the kitchen for some supervised hopping, with the new pet/baby gate installed. I have to watch her to keep her from trying to sneak through those widely-spaced bars. Cardboard or wire mesh deterrent will be added soon:
2cehi7a.jpg

I can't believe it looks like she's already grown a significant amount in just a week. I'm so proud of my [big] baby :)

So far, this past 9 days has been so exciting and fulfilling. I feel so much better having another furbaby to look after. It's so different going from 16 years of having someone always there to interact with throughout the day to just being in an empty home.

Oh, and since I named Belle after my favorite movie at the time, I decided to continue the trend and do the same for my new baby. Her name is Monty Python's Holy Hand Grenade Bunny, Monty for short. Why? Well, I thought it up when I was originally going to choose the one male from the litter (and not because he was larger, but because he had funny ears that he couldn't hold upright, they both laid off to the left), but then fate decided I would get a girl. I kept the name because already people respond with something to the effect of "holy crap, that's a huge rabbit," ;)

Sorry for all of the pics and long long story. Just wanted to say hello, and thank you for all of the info I've already found here, and all I will surely need as I go along. It seems like you guys are a great community, and I will learn a lot from you :)

Adorable!! Loved reading your story. It seems like Monty came into your life for a reason. Things seem to work that way sometimes.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your kitty. Losing a friend is hard.

But Monty will give you a new heart to love. She looks like quite the character. Love the one of her snuggling with the water bottle.

I have a Lionhead which is a small breed so I love seeing pics of the big guys. They are so different from my Agnes :)

Welcome!

Thanks Lisa :)

Yeah, I feel like this was meant to happen. I didn't find out until after I had reserved a Flemish that Monty and her littermates were born on May 12, the day after I said goodbye to Belle. Life carries on.

Welcome to RO and what a cute little I mean BIG baby. ;)

I understand what you mean about Bella. I had a cat when I was a kidand he lived until I was in my early 20sand he was everything a cat should be. I loved him so much. Since he's passed I can't even think about getting another cat because I know no other catwill be the same. And thatsbeen over 15 yrs ago. Wow I fell old all the sudden LOL.

Love all the pics by the way :biggrin2:

What a great story :) We always love reading stories and seeing pics here so definitely dont apologize :) I have always wanted a flemish giant....im thinking that will be my next rabbit. Right now i have a female Rex named Olivia....but she is too much of a princess to deal with another rabbit lol. Congrats on Monty and enjoy her

What a sweet story of finding a new friend. I have always been a "cat" person too. When I got my bunnies, I have converted to the club of rabbit lovers! Don't get me wrong, cats are amazing. Bunnies are just amazing in a different way :)

Can't wait to see more pictures of your giant! And welcome to the forum!

Congrats and welcome to RO
You have a big cutie there
We got our first bunny, Dilly this past January and she is our first bun and she has been great. They are so special and really grab your hearts. And you can spend hours watching, playing and hanging out with them.
Not sure what neighborhood that you live in, we are in Lincoln Square and there is a great shelter you should check out. They have events and are very good with rabbits and can give you great advice. It's called Red Door Animal Shelter.

Thanks all, and thanks HEM! I'll look for them. I'm actually a mile north of Howard, so I'm technically not *in* Chicago, but close enough ;)

I've tried searching around a little about sneezing...I can't tell if Monty is having dry sneezes as a reaction to smells or dust (she does it after she sniffs the floor, or me sometimes) or if she's "honking"? She doesn't have any discharge on her nose or eyes, she's just making funny noises when I let her run around the kitchen. Although I was starting to think it's a little bunny attitude, because she didn't do it at all while I was sweeping and she was following the broom around trying to pull on it. This girl cracks me up. I think I need to start a blog thread :bunnydance:

Love her ears! She's a cutie.

I'm from Chicago (inner city Chicago) myself. Born and raised, moved out here to Washington because my husband is in the navy.

Latest posts

Back