The Stomach-Dropping Dead Bunny Flop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boz

Reaction score
How many times has your stomach dropped when you walk in by your bunnies and see this picture?

P2224021.jpg

Mine always does. I slowly walk up to her and watch her stomach and hope I see it moving!

She's such a goof! :p

Lots of times! Haha. My stomach doesn't drop, but my heart does! And I gasp....and rush over to the buns' cage and say their name/rattle cage, and sometimes have to shake bunners if they're in such a deep sleep....like Minnie. haha.

Emily

Oh gosh, that happens a lot. Rory is usually the culprit. I always approach him telling myself that he's just sleeping, but I can't help but start to panic when he doesn't respond to me. The first time he did it was the day after his neuter and I'd NEVER seen a rabbit sleep that hard before (Cinnabun never ever slept on his side like that), I thought he'd died. We've had several times since when I thought he died too. Ugh.

My late bunny Torianne used to do that. I had to call to her and would get a look like "Arrgh, you woke me up!"

Cute photo!

Denise

LoL now that is getting warmer & more humid....all the little buns are flopped over like that on my patio...some of them don't even bother going around the other to stretch out...they just flop over on the other buns, draped over each other - too goofy is right!

I am happy to say that I have never had that happen to me. Toby and Sammi are too spazzy to sit like that for long. Toby never lays on his side with his head down. His head is always up and in the "I'm alive!" position! I would hate to walk in and see him flopped over like that. :(

I remember Belle doing that for the first time, she was my first bun i had had since i was a kid, so i nearly had a stroke w hen she did it. I was so worried i called a friend of mine to make sure that it was ok that she was doing that,lol, needless to say my friend called me back laughing at me.

Then when i got Sooty he did it within hours of being at my house, i again nearly had a stroke thinking that the stress of coming to my ho use was too much for him,lol. I come to find out with him that he just loved to DBF and there were times that i would walk by the cage and would stare at him to make sure he was alive because he would not move when hearing me, he was the MASTER at doing this. He would also lay with his head tilted back and sometimes with his lil legs all stiff and stretched out. lol. I think they like giving us heart attacks,lol

Oh my gosh yes,my poor heart has had to be kick started many,many,many time's...iwill also stand there and stare to make sure i can see their stomache moving.....i can remember the very first time i had seen my Marshmallow do a dead bunny flop and then she just laid there,i was new to bunnies then....this was back in 04 now,anyway i thought she was sick and i took her to the vet to be checked over lol.....i must say..she got a clean bill of health and i walked outfeeling like an idiot lol

oh my those were the times:p

When I first got Willie,he did that. I went "Oh no!Ive only had him a day and he died!" Then I opened the cage and got the "Ohhh Im going make a mess of my cage for revenge of you waking me up." Lol They do it on purpose dont they?Just to scare us.xD Evil plotting bunnies.

Fluffy did this all the time when he was in bed. You could shake the cage and he wasn't moving for anyone. My sister use to kick the cage and she broke it and he still didn't move. You had to shake him before he would think about getting up from his nap and sometimes that didn't work.

LOL! A DBF! That's perfect! haha!

Marley does that all the time. It doesn't matter if it's hot or not. She's a lazy bunny. :p

Wow! Some of you have some pretty heavy sleeping bunnies. I don't think I've ever seen mine really sleep heavily.

"Just to scare us.xD Evil plotting bunnies."
....I'm positive they plot and scheme to find ways of scaring us humans...:ph34r2

Lol, Sparky is exceptionally good at playing dead. Just the other day, I actually had to nudge her.....you should have seen the look I got for waking her up!!

My bunny Bebejust starteddoing that and it scares me too.

Pebbles never did it, as you never see her laying down or never see her eyes closed.

Boz wrote:
How many times has your stomach dropped when you walk in by your bunnies and see this picture?
Funny thing is, Scone has never done that when I'm not looking. He tends to just put his head on his paws and let his eyes half close when he's napping.

That's not to say he doesn't flop - he's a master of it. He'll run over to me in the morning while I'm getting dressed, push between my feet, twist around and FLOP right over, resting against my feet with his feet in the air. He stays that way for a few seconds, then flips upright, shakes his head and runs off.

I'd love to catch a picture of it, but he'll never flop when I'm near a camera, or hold it long enough for me to grab one.

Penny never ever DBFs, so I was so scared when I walked into the room and saw Benny that way. I had read that rabbits would do that, but I never imagined how dead they look. I panicked. Now my fiance and I just take pictures.

Peter does that every day and every time I see him like that I sit and watch to make sure he's okay. Good thing for me when he sleeps he breathes really deeply so I can almost instantly see his belly rise.

I just looked at the pic of Marley again, and she reminds me of a big, fluffy parade float/balloon. You know what I'm talking about? The big, inflated cartoon animals in parades? I just woke up, so I could just be in a goofy mood. :p

Latest posts

Back