The sofa is not a toilet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezrekia

Reaction score
Hi,

My bun Merlin is 3 years old, neutered male. He's never really liked being handled, and was happy for the occasional brief stroke as long as we were not comfortable doing it. If we looked comfortable, he would move a little bit away so that we had to lean, or bend at a funny angle.

The rule of the sofa has always been that if he comes up he's fair game for cuddles and attention, so he never really did. We moved house in May, and he's become more confident since. He's on the sofa being cuddled more often, and over the last week or so he's even been brave enough to venture onto my (and later my husband's) lap for a full-on snuggle session. This is amazing, and makes us really happy.

What doesn't make us happy is that since he's started coming up more often he is now pooping all over the sofa. He's been littered trained from day one, and although he has two loos in his cage he's never had more than the occasional poop catch him off guard outside the cage. (There was a wee incident on the sofa once before, but nothing since he was neutered about two years ago.) It's not like he has picked a corner - it is literally all over the sofa.

Yesterday, he snuggled on my lap for a good long time, and we were all cuddly and loved up together. Then he shook his ears, scratched his face, stood up and peed on me. He wasn't squirmy beforehand, it wasn't a spray and husband thinks he was just being lazy because he was comfortable and didn't want to move all the way across the room to his cage.

Is there a way to stop him pooping all over the sofa? Is there a way to stop him peeing on me without having to turn him away when he comes up for cuddles? Is it possible this behaviour means something I haven't considered?

Thank you for any advice, it's all gratefully received.

Last edited:
If he peed on you, as funny as it sounds, it means he liked you. He's not being lazy, but he's now comfortable with you. Don't yell at him. I know though how frustrating it is with the sofa - my other bunny picked a corner as his personal bathroom in the living room..
It's great to know you're closer and snuggling. I had a bunny (Bilém) who was the same way not letting me pet her in a comfortable position, you described this behavior so well I wouldn't know how to describe it better! Funny thing is I never thought about it as a trait bunnies could have (knowing if we're comfortable, and moving away if we are). I thought it was just "bad luck" that whenever I was ok, she'd move away, and when I was all in a wretched position trying to get to her, that was ok. Lol
That's why we're bunny "slaves" not just friends or anything else... hahah
I'm really glad you guys are getting along fine!
Good luck with the sofa, I hope your bunny gets over pooping there. Maybe if you bring his cage closer to it, he'll go pee there?

Yea if he pee'd on you he pretty much marked you as his "gf" my lop does it all the time he's about 3 years old ( not fixed, hoping to get it done eventually) as for the poop that's usually a territory marking thing. He's pretty much told you he's comfortable and really likes you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

My Lorrie peed on my pillow. I took her up to my bed to bond with her a bit and she peed! Crazy as it sounds, I was so flattered :)

Back