The scuffle and its aftermath..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheep

Reaction score
Recently I decided to try and introduce my rabbit, Snick, with my brother's rabbit George. They had been introduced when Snicky was about a month and a half old and every time they met, George would fallow him around the room relentlessly trying to ride him.
George is about 6 years old and hasn't met another rabbit(other than snick) since before we recieved him. So..

Anywho, when I placed George in my room(which really wasn't a wise decision on my part. That's Snick's turf!), Snicky came out of his cage(usually left open) and nosed under George's side. Then.. came the aggressive pacing about each other.. and the short scuffle in which George lost a little hair and Snick lost his temper!
I picked Snicky off of him and held him a bit in my lap facing away form me so he could calm down.. George had a vicegrip on my brown blanket and was on his side attacking it! I placed Snick down and picked Georg up to console him and he snuggled in my lap(he's a cuddly wabbit).. and held my hand to Snick. He forced me to pet him and turned away(odd for him, he doesn't like being touched much unless in his cage).

Blehh.. put George away after petting him for about 30 minutes in a dif. room. When I went back in mine to see my bunnyboy, he greeted me and fallowed me all over the place. He wouldn't leave my heels!(ALSO unusual)
When I sat down, he was curious about my lap and let me stroke his head and ears while he relaxed near me. He didn't want me to leave when I did and tried blocking the door! When I was closing it, he gave me the scissor-eard look. :/

Maybe he was jealous?
I can understand why the little spat started, but Snick's behavier afterwards was a bit surprising. o_o

Hi there, just moved this to Nutrition and Behavior for you :).

Sometimes bunnies can be like little kids.. when they are scared or unsure, they crawl right onto mommy. A lot of times during bonding, Bruno would be acting unfriendly and Poppy would crawl on my lap for safety. He might have also been reclaiming you as his territory too! :D Before Bruno was neutered, he would always be chasing after me, think he saw me as a mate.

For next time, maybe try a neutral area.. I'm sure you'd get quite different results! :D Common behavior too if your boys are intact, makes them even more territorial!

George was never neutered.. mom didn't believe rabbits needed to see a vet for anything! Sadly, she holds that belief for any animal but larger domestics like cats and dogs.

Snick is only 3 months, but he's started chin-rubbing things in my room.

I haven't really KNOWN a rabbit personally before unless you count George, but I don't know him well.. he's supposed to be my brother's rabbit. Snick lives and sleeps in my room right next to me, though.
(thanks for the move, by the way!)

Spring wrote:
Before Bruno was neutered, he would always be chasing after me, think he saw me as a mate.

I walked in the room after my shower and talked to him(he was under my bed) and he came up to greet me. He kept pacing around my feet(I know what that means!) and when I knelt and held out my hand ne nosed it and did a happy little flip! He kept dancing and hopping in circles around me after that.

... my rabbit has the hots for me. Awkward. XD

Snick definetly sounds very smitten with you - lol! I would definetly try to talk Mom into getting hime neutored as ina few short months I would guess he"ll start spraying you and everything else!

juliew19673 wrote:
Snick definetly sounds very smitten with you - lol! I would definetly try to talk Mom into getting hime neutored as ina few short months I would guess he"ll start spraying you and everything else!
Oh, I've already told her he needs it! He was born March 4th.. but he's maturing quite quickly!
I guess around July or August would be ok.. I'll ask her to let me take him when she takes one of our dogs for her checkup.

I got him from a neighbor of ours that breeds rabbits for meat. In a way, I rescued him when she decided he was runty(his parents are giants crossed with dutch, I think..). She assumed he'd make a nice pet because he wasn't as "wild" as the others.. but the way she handles the poor babies, I'm not surprised they kick and squirm when she picks them up!
(that was completely unrelated. o_o)

Latest posts

Back