The RSPCA 5 Freedoms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
The RSPCA 5 Freedoms is what the RSPCA says every animal should live by.

Just thought it might be interesting to share.

Do you think your buns (and any other animals) do?

[align=center]The RSPCA Five Freedoms for Animals are:[/align] 1. Freedom from Hunger and Thirst
By ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.

2. Freedom from Discomfort
By providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.

3. Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease
By prevention by rapid diagnosis and treatment.

4. Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour

By providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.

5. Freedom from Fear and Distress
By ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
[align=right]Taken from the British Rabbit Council and the RSPCA[/align]

I would have to say yes, all of my animals, which include 2 house buns, 11 resuced guinea pigs 3 chickens and a cockateil

Mine do except for company of their own kind because they will either rip eachothers heads off or have loads of babies so it's for their own good to protect them.

on second thoughts i do only have one flag fish left thanks to her expression of natural behaviour....buns and dogs are easier to manage tho'

I think the company of it's own kind should be changed a bit, as far as I know we go by those five freedoms here aswell. There are lot's of animals that can't be kept in pairs like syrian hamsters etc.
Normal behaviour also includes breeding and fighting and I am sure the RSPCA do not want that, it probably should be worded differently other then that I follow the rest of the five freedoms.

1. Freedom from Hunger and Thirst Yes definitely

2. Freedom from Discomfort Yes definitely

3. Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease Yes, definitely

4. Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour
This one is a tough one for me. None of my buns are in accommodation big enough, in my eyes. I have them in varying sizes of accommodation from 32sqft down to 20sqft outside, and inside they live in 5 ft cages with another level (although this is changing shortly, hopefully!. Some of mine are singles because they won't bond with anyone else here (4 of those) and 2 are not neutered so have to live alone. I'd love my singles to have a bonded friend but I don't want to take anymore, so they can't have anyone, although I do periodically try different bonding options.

5. Freedom from Fear and Distress With the exception of Roger, yes. Roger was found wild and people scare him if he sees them as a threat. He's happy other than that though. Makes me sad he will never feel particularly safe around hands.

irishbunny wrote:
I think the company of it's own kind should be changed a bit, as far as I know we go by those five freedoms here aswell. There are lot's of animals that can't be kept in pairs like syrian hamsters etc.
Normal behaviour also includes breeding and fighting and I am sure the RSPCA do not want that, it probably should be worded differently other then that I follow the rest of the five freedoms.
I believe that it is with or without a companion, talking to the RSPCA rabbit guy over here. I do agree some of this wording is not right but it was the best I could find.

i've been mulling this over whilst taking the dogs for a swim in the river. the more i mull i find it's the 4th one that bothers me. i think the sentiments are well meaning but perhaps not worded as they could be. my buns are a neutered well bonded pair but i would step in if they fought - this would lead to a contravention of the 3rd Freedom.

i can see the reasoning behind it tho' - chimps being used for tourist pics springs to mind but i think commons sense should prevail. sadly something that many people who buy pets do not have - hence the need for these Freedoms.

an interesting thread - very thought provoking:D

Latest posts

Back