The reality of Holiday & Fiesta

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I dont know what all to say, really.

Their legs were much worse than I could have anticipated and I had tried to prepare myself for the worst.

Everything is a little confusing - if the rescue estimated them at 12 weeks when they were taken in - they are a LARGE breed.

If they're New Zealands as my vet believes, they were probably a lot younger than the rescue thought when taken in.

The rescue listed them as Jersey Wooly mixes - a smaller breed? Their vetting consisted of health certificates that noted a slight splay of the legs...

Dr Frick knows Dr Harvey - she's actually been HRS certified through the CA vet and has attended many of her 15 hour seminars. I dunno, but Dr Frick says she is glad they are at leastwith a person willing to work with them and who understands what their care entails.

Compassion and sadness definantly shined through on her part today.

My vet is shocked that they passed a health exam to be able to fly. Perhaps a paperwork error, or fudge?

I dont want to be overly positive in the public posts I make about them - but at the same time I dont want to be negative either since they came through a "well known" rescue.

That said, once examined our discussion turned to quality of life and how long they possibly "have".

I don't regret adopting them and WOULD do it again, but I really wish I had been more prepared for how bad they actually are.

Nothing I learned today has really suprised me as far as their condition goes, so I'm not overly disappointed. They're still DOLLS!

People have been asking for me to post videos of them. I'm still uneasy about that right now - it's easier to see them in person, know their condition and see how HAPPY they are right now - than to be shocked into seeing their mobility issues and drawing conclusions from that.

To be honest if I had seen a video of them in motion I would have hesitated to take them in, but knowing them in person I dont think the adoption was a mistake.

Doe that make sense?

Makes perfect sense. I think they are very cute, but I don't at all envy you the task of taking care of them, I can only imagine just how hard it must be to look at them and see them like that, knowing how they would look if they were 'normal'.

I don't think that you'd be being negative in the thread if you were just being honest.

Oh yes, I know it's a much smaller condition with Clover but people sometimes FREAK when they see her leg. My sister said she got sick seeing her photo, but we know she's fine. If I could have it fixed - sure I would! but she's very mobile :shock:she skims the walls!

The way I feel - If I could help you I would with the boys! I would be there every day to help excercise, care clean whatever...

If they live to see a year old.... so be it. That's more than a lot of healthy bunnies get in life, ya know?

Will it hurt when you do lose them? YES it will..... I can feel that twinge of heartache myself thinking about it....

but we know that they will be loved more than imaginable there and all around the world.

Before "meeting" them, I used to cry for Scoots, for any rabbit that had such terrible deformities....... but I know they have some acceptible and quality of life..... obviously they get around and Holliday is a big love bug....

I will pray they don't get too big. maybe with all that they have wrong - they'll be stunted a bit too!

I too am hoping they stay on the smaller size. What you've done for them Leaf is give them a secure, safe environment. You let them know they are loved. No matter how long a time you have with them, you have made them happy and content. As Bo B Bunny said, that's more that some "normal" rabbits get in their short lives.

I see nothing wrong with being honest. (I might hold back the opinions on the Rescue Org.) If you gloss over it too much, people will have an unrealistic view on tending handicapped rabbits. It takes a very special person to rise to the challenge of their care. You are wonderful to take them in. :hug:

I agree, nothing wrong with being honest and realistic even in the open forum. Everyone knows what a wonderful thing you did by taking them in. No matter how long they have, it will be time spent being loved and cared for. Thats better than they wouldve gotten in a shelter somewhere.

Latest posts

Back