The Rabbit - Horse connection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnootyPuffs

Reaction score
Anyone at all into horses as well? I ask, since, bun's and equines are very very alike even regarding behavior in some ways. I've seen horses do binkies.

Let's see,
-neither can toss their lunch
-both eat hay and require plentiful roughage (both = hindgut fermenters)
-prey species
-generally live in herds (both employ herd hierarchy - pecking order)
-both can be territorial about stall/cage space.
-rabbitries have "barns" lol!
-both rabbits and equines teeth continually grow! Horse teeth get floated...Bun's get them clipped (and have so many issues with molars!!!)
-they both poop plenty te he he.... (both attract flies like crazy)
-both have high risk for colic ( ex. impaction, gas)
-horses chew wood too (seen enough fences with eaten top boards!)
-horses (like bun's) can pair up with another horse (and don't want to be separated)
-and a rabbit savvy vet??? costs plenty (much like an equine vet)

....I could go on....

I knew that horses and rabbits GI tract were similar but I didn't know they had that much in common! It is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for this post!! When researching Library articles, I usually seek out horse sites, there is a world of useful info for rabbits there, too.

And I always prefer to recommend a horse vet over a cat or dog vet when a rabbit vet isn't available.

Thanks again!

sas :thanks:

also horses and rabbits tend to bond to one person a lot more than anyone else...and they both expect attention on their time :)

I have horses too. Sometimes they do act like insanely expensive rabbits. They are also skittish like rabbits ( and most other pray animals). M

My horse tries to boss me around too, just like my rabbit. Interesting...

Pipp wrote:
And I always prefer to recommend a horse vet over a cat or dog vet when a rabbit vet isn't available.

Wow- how interesting! It's like when describing a Hyrax as the closest living relative of an Elephant! Unbelievable but fascinating!

Jen

I have one Morgan horse, sometimes it does strike me that his personality is much like my Mini Rexes -- curious, wants to be with you, and comical too!

Long ago the lady who got me into rabbits, who also owned the farm where I boarded my horses, told me: If a horse can eat it, pretty much a rabbit can too. She gave her English Angoras horse feed (the sweet kind) to get them in show condition, they loved it and looked great!

Pipp wrote:
Thanks for this post!! When researching Library articles, I usually seek out horse sites, there is a world of useful info for rabbits there, too.

Thanks again!

sas :thanks:
one would think the farm country dvm would have some experience with rabbits,,but my deceased bun on the rainbow bridge doesnt care for either dvm...sincerely james waller:pray:

Latest posts

Back