The rabbit and the hedgehog?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holtzchick

Reaction score
So...... I caved! Introducing Penelope! She's my lovely new hedgehog and i'm just wondering if there are any chances of her being friends with Peter?

Do you have a hedgehog that interacts with your bun? They're both quite timid creatures... they love to explore and Peter has already sniffed her and nothing really happened... I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship! :)

2ex6mo2.jpg

I Googled the topic & learned that hhs are solitary & don't like to live with each other [except for 2 females]. Also hhs, if they're the African kind, need to be warmer than rabbits prefer. And if Peter ever tried mounting the hh, it'd be a problem. So I'd be careful.

ohh my. isnt that just the cutest thing. i almost bought one last week but fought the urge. i personally think they are so ugly that they are the most adorable things if that makes sense. that little face is just kissable.

Thanks.

As for the temperature differences of the two, they are housed separately and only meet when they're free range. Peter is quite a shy guy so he would never go too close to her and vice versa. I'm not really concerned about Peter mounting Penelope because he's neutered and not territorial with any animals i've seen so far. So I'm just hoping its one of those friendships where despite their differences they just get along :)

Ooooooh soooo cute. I've always wanted one since I was a kid, but you can't buy them in California .... poo.... like everything else.

I had one for 2 weeks but his poop boots and huffy attitude didn't match with me wanting to keep my room cold at night and have a more pet-able pet.. So he went to someone who had been wanting one for years. He was a rescue and is now in a good permanent home.. buuut I'd say your hedgie and bun probably will never be best buddies, but could probably learn to tolerate one another.

I'm sorry your hedgehog and you did not match up. I guess we'll see but so far Peter seems to love Penelope, I just wish it were the other way around lol but I think she'll come around soon. Thanks for all the responses :)

actually even most females can not be housed together as they will fight to the death same as males. i'm not sure as to whether hedgies and rabbits get along, but i'm curious too since i just adopted my rabbit today. please remember thought that your new hedgie needs to be isolated from all other animals for at least 30 days so please do not introduce them during this time (it is very important for both of their healths) and the hedgie needs to be seen by an experienced and hedgie knowledgeable vet for a health check before introducing any animals.

Latest posts

Back