The outbreak of foot and mouth disease!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Willow~

Reaction score
I cant believe thatfoot and mouth diseasehas come back! I was looking at the news and a farmer and his family had to kill a whole herd of their cattle. They had been taking care of the farm for 40 years! :(

If anyone owns a farm, or is at risk of their animals catching the disease, my prayers are with you:pray:

It is very sad but it isnt bird flu that has had an outbreak its foot and mouth disease, which does not pose the threat to humans that bird flu does

The whole bird flu thing was so ridiculous, the media hyped it up saying there would be some worldwide epidemic, which hasn't happened -surprise surprise!:rollseyes

However I agree with you, this foot and mouth outbreak is terrible - all those poor animals.:(I can't believe it has actually come from a lab this time though!:X

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6931639.stm

It's spreading now too. It's going to be just like the last time, I know it. :(

(I'll change the title of this thread)

For anybody who doesn't know about foot and mouth disease read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_and_mouth_disease

I hope they manage to contain it, reading about what happened last time just brings back all the horrors. I still remember all those images of burning animals. :(

"The outbreak of foot and mouth disease in the United Kingdom in the spring and summer of 2001 was caused by the "Type O pan Asia" strain of the disease[5][/suP]. This episode saw more than 2,000 cases of the disease in farms in most of the British countryside. Around seven million sheep and cattle were killed in an eventually successful attempt to halt the disease. Cumbria was the worst affected area of the country, with 843 cases. With the intention of controlling the spread of the disease, public rights of way across land were closed by order. This damaged the popularity of the Lake District as a tourist destination. By the time the disease was halted by October 2001, the crisis was estimated to have cost Britain £8bn ($16bn)."

oops i was typing too fast that i called it bird flu!! my bad :?

I really hope it does'nt get as bad as last time, I could'nt bare watching those images of burning animals on TV again! I still turn away when I see it now. :(

These sort of things are blown WAY out of proportion. When we had the Mad Cow thing a few years ago it was just stupid. There were 4 affected cows and nobody wants out beef anymore.(execpt Alberta, beef consumption increased)Then the US gets a couple of mad cows and they balme it on Canada. GGGGRRRRR. But yea, Foot and Mouth sucks. I feel sorry for the farmers who have to start again because of it.

Latest posts

Back