The old snip-snip(Baloo is at the vet)-Questions.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy

Reaction score
I campletely forgot to post that at dropped Baloo off at the vet for family jewels removal. lol. My vet is pretty good about explaining things and giving the little care sheet, but you guys are much experienced with the at home care part. I have set him up a place in our master bathroom away from the other animals and children. I am not sure the recovery time for rabbits Is there special food I should be getting for post surgery? Is it similar to the care a neutered dog or cat would recieve? I guess he will be coming home tommorrow. He is an outside rabbit and is not particularly happy when inside. He grunts alot and huddles down. He was suppose to go earlier in the week, however with Sandy rolling though we had to reschedule, then the vet called yesterday afternoon and said they had an opening, so I trucked him down before taking my son trick or treating.

Luckily, neuters are not as invasive as a spay so you should be fine. My male was up for adoption the next day after his neuter and he was hopping around like no big deal. No pain medication, nothing. I just checked the site to make sure no infection and that was pretty much it. And no, no special diet you want them to eat as normal.

One thing that did stand out in your post was him spending the night? Most rabbit savvy vets don't require that and encourage them to go home the day of the surgery. Reason being is rabbits are very sensitive to new surroundings and being in a strange vets office with barking dogs and commotion can be scary for them and you want them as comfortable as possible so they start eating again.

I would see if you can pick him up today......

A little more info:
Baloo is not getting neutered for any health reason. He is in very good health and weight. I am not sure if that info was needed for recovery info. He is getting neutered since he was suppose to be a female and I thought two females would get along well together. I wish I would have found this site prior to getting the second bunny)Anyways, he is a mixed breed bunny, they seem to like each other and play together, however, everytime they are together, I end up with babies, which Cadbury is not particularly fond of. Since I got them so close to each other, the first litter I assumed she was pregnant when I go her (little did I know they are only pregnant for about 31 days) I couldn't even tell she was pregnant until I found babies. Then this past month they made me more babies. :( Although they are cute cute cute, My purpose is not to bring more bunnies into the world in which I have to find homes for. That being said, Baloo is now at the vet.

I can pick him up today, after 4pm, if I want, it was optional. I figured it would be safer for him to stay longer. I will give the vet a call and let them know I will be picking him up afterall. Thank you.

Yes it is. He can be fertile after the neuter as well so keep them seperate for awhile!
Great that you are picking him up. With dogs and cats I think they have them stay overnight, but with rabbits they generally do better in their own environment.
The biggest risk after anesthesia for rabbits is them not eating. When a rabbits digestive system shuts down things can get dangerous fast. Not trying to scare you, it's rare, but the point is is rabbits need to feel comfortable to eat and they do best at home. Just watch for eating/drinking and pooping and peeing.

Thank you for your help. I am crossing my fingers for the best. He will be staying inside during recover so I can keep a better eye on him....and far away from Cadbury:)

Sounds like you have everything under control. The boys normally do better since it is not so invasive. Out of 8 I have had fixed only one, a female, had any issues at all. She just didn't want to eat.

I'd keep them apart for at least a month if not a bit longer. It is much better to wait a bit longer than risk another litter. Keep in mind that you still need to work on bonding and getting her spayed is a must if they are to live together.

As far as after care goes, sue towels or fleece for bedding as shavings, hay and straw and irritate the incision. Still have hay for eating, but try to keep it off the floor if you can. Keep him confined for at least a week so he can heal and keep him from jumping for about 2 weeks.
They don't need any special diet while they heal. As long as he is eating then he should be fine. You can give veggies and treats to help encourage him to eat, but if he is not used to theses then introducing them now is not a great idea.

He is very use to treats :) I had a couple of old fleece sweatshirts so I am using them. He has not eatten yet but he had no issue drinking:)

I agree to keep them seporated for at least 1 month. You do not want to risk another litter.

No More LITTERS!!! :pssd: --Cadbury

The momma rabbit does not want any more babies either, Cadbury agrees to that I should keep the evil little male away from her. Little does she know she is next..... :biggrin:

actually, it's possible for them to be fertile for up to 6-8 weeks... not always, but it CAN happen. I'd definitely keep them apart for two months or until cadbury is spayed just to be on the safe side.

I'm glad you've decided to bring him home - from what I read when preparing for my girls' spays, they tend to recover faster if they can come home the same day and be in a familiar environment :)

Baloo is still doing very well. The last two days I have let him play completely supervized with his daughter Chloe. No signs of him having any interest in mating at all.

How old is Chloe?
I had 2 females around my hormonal buck - his mom and his 4month old sister. He was chasing his mom like crazy but showed no interest for his sis. I guess the younger one hasn't got her scent yet.

I would not let him NEAR her. I have a friend that left a litter of 1 boy and 2 or 3 girls in the same cage for a little to long (lack of cages). When the babies turned 3 months old all the girls gave birth. None of the babies survived because it was cold out and they did not have a nest box (my friend did not think they were pregnent or could get pregnant). She said that it was a shame because the babies had great markings and would have made great show bunnies.

Baloo is doing very well. It has been a month and 8 days since his surgery. He has has went back out to his rabbit condo and seems very happy to be there:)

--All by himself might I ad!

Latest posts

Back