The next best thing...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
You know, here I went out and bought a catslicker brush to rid my boys of so much fur when I have something thatworks almost as good. I tried this simply because Spice hates the catslicker brush, he hesistates coming around me because normally I brushhim twice a day to reduce the amount of hair. Well as most of you know,I rode horses for 3 years and only stopped slightly over a year ago,but over those years I collected a number of brushes and decided topull them out and try them with Spice today. It doesn't work as good asa slicker brush, but for those rabbits much like Spice it's probablythe way to go to make it a more enjoyable experience for them. Postedbelow are a few links.

Here is what's called a "fine toothed curry comb", that's theunderside. You will notice that the bristles are small and are pliableso it isn't harsh on a rabbit to use. The material it's made up offeels almost tacky and loose hair sticks well to it:

http://www.millbrook-tack.com/millbrook/product.asp?s%5Fid=0&dept%5Fid=3258&pf%5Fid=PAAAIAFDCOKBFOOF&

(You make small circular motions all over the body with this brushto effectively remove hair. Spice loves the circular motions andactually licked me when I was doing it!:shock:)

Here is a "soft bristled face brush". It's a relatively smallbrush (around 6" long) and has soft bristles that are ideal for makinga nice smooth, shiny coat and also helps to remove loose hair. NormallyI brush with the curry comb then use this one to smooth it out:

http://www.millbrook-tack.com/millbrook/product.asp?s%5Fid=0&dept%5Fid=3257&pf%5Fid=PAAAAANJNPNBNMOF&

These can be found at most feed stores that sell horse brushes and areactually relatively cheap. (I got mine for $0.99) My boys just lovethis, Spice was absolutely enjoying his massage with these brushes!

Laura, I have thesame experience with Sherman. He loves the soft-bristledbrush that I use on him and will lay there for hours for me to brushhim. But when I pull out that slicker brush ....disappearing bunny!... ... He simply can't stand that thing, and I can'tblame him. Those bristles look too rough for bunnyskin.

Right after we got Cookie, I went out and boughta baby's brush set. It has a little rabbit on it.So when I want to brush him, I will ask him if he wants to be HandsomeBunny, then while I am brushing him I keep repeating it and repeating"Good Cookie." He enjoys being brushed.

Wabbitwuv

They love being brushed now, more than ever! It'snot as effective as a slicker but they're outside bunnies and they likethese horse brushes better so I'll make them happy before I make thingseasier and quicker. That curry comb gives a massaging rub and they justlove it behind the ears and in circular motions over the ears. Forgetabout petting them with your hand, they want the brushes!

Latest posts

Back