The new bunny likes me, but the smell is hard to get out...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskeylousmama

Reaction score
Okay, I called the vet. Check up in one week, then we talk about the magical N word... He likes me. I am glad he likes me, but he likes me so much that he poos all over his playpen, and when I let him out to play he greets me with a kick of his heels and a splash of Eau De Bunny...

I am sure it will be better once he is fixed, but what do I do to stop the spraying until then? And what if the vet decides he is uncomfortable neutering him because of the head tilt? ( he still has sniffles, and I don't know if maybe that would stop them from wanting to put him under for the surgery or not...)

I love the little bugger, but he's driving me nuts!!! lol

Oh, and my roommate calls him Flip, because when he is on linoleum, he loses traction and is constantly flipping over, but I am not sure I like it that much, expecially since I had a bird named Flip, Actually his name was Flip Ulyses, but we just called him Flip U the Bird for short...

So, I need more names, sometimes I call him bobbles, but nothing seems to be just right yet...

I don't know how to stop the spraying. Before we got him neutered, Ronnie was so bad at this, it got to the point where I'd go in the room for 10 seconds just to get a chair or tray table and I'd come out with rabbit pee on my leg. Your bunny should stop after you have him neutered though. One week after Ronnie was neutered, he completely stopped spraying :D

Bo used to "decorate" me with his spray and lovely scented poos before he was neutered. Now he on rare occasion will leave a poo for good measure if I've been around strange bunnies.

Something that might help your odor removal is OXYCLEAN FRESH SCENT LIQUID added to the laundry. I use it on the blankets and rugs that they use. Tony is not neutered and has to mark all of those things. I also have sheep and horses and it helps with my laundry - especially my son's sheepy smelly laundry.

As far as names, just go on the personality of you and the bunner. Give it some time and you'll come up with something perfect:).

I am constantly calling Snuffy different names cuz I am goofy:p. Right now I call him Schnookies or Nukes:p. (But I still call him Snuff, Nuff or Nuff Nuff Paddywhack like hubby calls him which is also down to "Paddy":shock::p).

I have a few yet to be neutered boys that don't spray when they are loose in the house. But one of them who is just coming of age, Lollipop, thinks he owns me and likes to spray me, and everything else under the sun. I really couldn't say how to stop it except for the neutering. In the meantime a good cleanerwill do the trick! :)

The bunner has "snuffles"? What meds is he on? How long has he been on them?

There's no way to stop the spraying, unfortunately. When he's neutered it should stop. I've had two males and they didn't spray before I had them neutered, I was just lucky I guess;).

well to tell you the truth I don't know what he has, he was on no meds when I got him, and his check up is Tuesday, so hopefully he will get meds thenif he needs them, but I don't think he has "snuffles" though he may have at one point, as something had to cause his head tilt, but he definatley has snIffles... as I can hear something in his nose and chest.

The people I got him from say he is recovering from his head tilt, so I don't know what they did have him on if anything. I just read that the sniffley sound could mean pasturella, and I also heard once a bunny has it, he has it for life, so I assumed that's what it was, though like I said there is a vet check up on tuesday, so I will find out for sure...

thoughts? he's an active little boy, and I do hope I can get him breathing easier, though is only really sounds weazy when he is frightened, and he is getting more and more comfortable here, so that should slow down.

Is there any way that you can get him to a bunny-savvy vet today (Friday)? A congested nose isn't something that can be put off - rabbits can only breathe through their noses - not their mouths. If I were in your shoes, I'd want him to get a good exam ASAP. (and I know you've had trouble with inexperienced vets and sick bunnies; also that you really care for your critters.)

All the best on this - and to add to the others' comments, neutering should take care of his spraying, though it may take a little while for him to stop. (It's not a "magic" solution, because it does take time for those hormone levels to drop. :))

well, he has had the congested sound since he developed the tilt months ago, he breathes fine, he just sounds like a kid with a cold if he gets worked up, and he sneezes a bit. I have found a rabbit savvy vet, and he is who I have the appointment with Tuesday. He said That was the earliest he could get him in, and he's doing fine.

I agree I have had some issues with vets, but this one is highly reccomended, (thanks Naturestee) and the bunny is very happy, and other than that, rather healthy. I may have overplayed the congestion card, I sometimes do that, because I worry about my babies so much, but I am not going to get myself worked up over it. It seems like the equivilent of a mom rushing her child to the ER for a skinned knee...

Thanks for the advice, I know you are worried, but if you could see/hear him you would know what I mean. I am so lucky to have a group of people like you watching out for me!

I think we all get "worked up" about our buns - I know that I do! :) So no worries - I just know that you've been through a lot with your other buns, and have been concerned for you.

Latest posts

Back